studying for DAT and applying NEED HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleedds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in masters program for biomedical sciences
last time I took the DAT is back in 2007, so I plan to retake the DAT this year...
With full load of school work... I have tests every week...
so I couldn't start studying for DAT yet...
I plan to start my DAT studying mid May and submit my application early June...
When would be a good time to take the DAT?
What would be a good prep process for the DAT?
my previous DAT scores were just average...
my GPA for undergrad was low... so I am improving my GPA right now by taking graduate courses... and maintaing around 3.7...
I really want to get over 23's on all subjects for DAT this time around...
I need to take sumer courses from 21st of June till July 30th...
I get done with current semester May 7th...
I was thinking about taking the DATs Mid-August... would that be too late?
It is my very last time to take the DAT... I really need help...
Please let me know... what I should Do...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in masters program for biomedical sciences
last time I took the DAT is back in 2007, so I plan to retake the DAT this year...
With full load of school work... I have tests every week...
so I couldn't start studying for DAT yet...
I plan to start my DAT studying mid May and submit my application early June...
When would be a good time to take the DAT?
What would be a good prep process for the DAT?
my previous DAT scores were just average...
my GPA for undergrad was low... so I am improving my GPA right now by taking graduate courses... and maintaing around 3.7...
I really want to get over 23's on all subjects for DAT this time around...
I need to take sumer courses from 21st of June till July 30th...
I get done with current semester May 7th...
I was thinking about taking the DATs Mid-August... would that be too late?
It is my very last time to take the DAT... I really need help...
Please let me know... what I should Do...

You need to take the DAT prior to July 1 if you want to be considered in the first cycle. I can't say there is any "official" cut off for the first cycle but it is generally understood if you take it after this date you may not make the cutoff.

You're going to need to find time to start studying for the DAT now. Even if it is just an hour or two a day. Everyone else is in classes too so they have it no different. I'm in 18 credits of all science courses right now and have been putting in 4 hours a day since January 1. No one said this road was going to be easy.

Good luck figuring everything out. :thumbup:

I agree with Avery07 in that you definitely, 100% want to be in the first group of students that dental schools look at. One of my friends did a statistical analysis of all the pre-dental students at my school and what most impacted their chance to get into dental school. The variable that had the biggest affect was the date they applied, followed by GPA and DAT scores.

However, I've been told by admissions deans from multiple schools that it takes AADSAS around 4-6 weeks to verify your transcripts and send it to the dental schools. And often the adcoms at the individual schools don't even look at the applications till late July or August.

Considering that it doesn't take that long for AADSAS to receive and add your DAT score to your application, you can take the DAT a few weeks after you submit your application and it will arrive at AADSAS right as they finish processing your application. Again, this is from multiple deans of admissions that came to our school to recruit.

For example, when AADSAS opens on June 3 (not June 1 - look here), I'll submit everything but my DAT scores, which I won't take until June 11. This gives me an extra week to study but I know that my application won't be delayed compared to anyone else's. You could probably take it late June or early July and still be in this first group, but August is pushing it.

But if you feel like you have to be the first dental student in the nation with a completed application, you should take the DAT before June 3.

you shouldn't be too worried about testing too late. I took my DAT exam in late august early sept. But that was pushing it and I interviewed early October. But I submitted my application by the 1st week the cycle opened. If you'll be applying to the really really big name schools..... then take it EARLY so you'll be evaluated at the same time as early applicants. You have a lot on your plate so keep that in mind

Members don't see this ad :)
well, you can submit your application (AADSAS) first week of June, even if you don't have a DAT score, it will take them 3-4 weeks to verify all the information you put in. So you have a 3-4 week window of intense DAT studying.

If your going to start studying for the DAT mid may, You can push the next 6-7 weeks till you take it end of June. If your one of these people who can study for 7-8 hours a day (intensive studying), then IMO 6-7 weeks is plenty of time for a nice score on the DAT.

Is it enough for a 23 AA? That I can't tell you, because again, IMO any score above 23 is not just "hard work + natural IQ smarts" its also massive amounts of luck.

if you plan on taking it in the summer make sure you submit ur aadsas the first day its open and send your scores in asap atleast ur app will be in........but whats more important is getten ur scores up especially since you haven't taken it in a long time you will need to do ur basic review with kaplan blue book and subject tests..........and you will need to get destroyer and math destroyer to compliment your studies and topscore........make sure you work on ur PAT with crack dat pat work with all these tools to get ur scores and to satisfy your requirements.......this is verry possible but you will need to work hard and start asap good luck