Studying for DAT biology HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cathy_1349

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the DAT for the first time today and my results are out of my expectation. While most of them look okay, the bio score was sooooo low that I have to retake the test in the coming summer. As my undergrad GPA is only 3.34, the only way to boost my chances is to get a higher DAT score.

I primarily used Cliff's Notes for AP Biology (3rd edition) and DAT Bootcamp for study, and scored 19/20 on the BC practices. Yet the real exam was indeed different (as I only scored 17 for bio) and there were some questions that made me wonder if I studied the wrong material (lol).

So other than DAT destroyer (since I already have it), are there any other legit studying materials (books, practices, etc.) that you would recommend?

Many thanks!

Btw, here's a breakdown of my DAT score today:

AA 23
TS 20
Bio 17
GC 21
OC 26
RC 21
QR 29
PAT 24

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest using DAT genius. Their bio section was arguably harder for me than bootcamp. They have a lot of specific questions, and their solutions cover the whole topic of the question. It's worth a shot.
Great scores on all other subjects tho!

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Feralis note and destroyer should be more than enough, but I dont think you need to retake at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're right on the money. You don't need to take the DAT again just to do marginally better in one section. You've gotten past the 20+ hurdle, so you should maybe consider doing other things like more shadowing and volunteering and boosting your other aspects of your application.

HOWEVER, to answer your question and not just post my opinion...I used a huge deck of AP Bio flashcards I had from high school, 2 different AP Bio books that I read front to back, and all of Feralis' notes. The key to the Bio section is knowing what you don't know and focusing on those parts instead of going over the same stale material over and over again trying to memorize it better. It's multiple choice so as long as you are able to recognize the material, you can figure it out. Really have to cast a wide net for Bio, which is why I recommend multiple different sources.

I would suggest using DAT genius. Their bio section was arguably harder for me than bootcamp. They have a lot of specific questions, and their solutions cover the whole topic of the question. It's worth a shot.
Great scores on all other subjects tho!

Thank you! Btw do you happen to know how much it costs? I tried to look it up on the website and I can't find it.

Feralis note and destroyer should be more than enough, but I dont think you need to retake at all.
Thank you! Well I still wanna retake since the 17 really does not look good at all...

Cliffs ap bio, feralis , and destroyer, theoretically can yield you a 30, but I don't think you need to retake lol . Your scores should be good for acceptances if you apply broadly / strategically

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Thank you! As an international student with no green card, the overall score is really not that good lol, plus the 17 is on bio, which is the most important section of the DAT in my opinion. So I think I will just keep studying for 2 or 3 more months and take it again.

You're right on the money. You don't need to take the DAT again just to do marginally better in one section. You've gotten past the 20+ hurdle, so you should maybe consider doing other things like more shadowing and volunteering and boosting your other aspects of your application.

HOWEVER, to answer your question and not just post my opinion...I used a huge deck of AP Bio flashcards I had from high school, 2 different AP Bio books that I read front to back, and all of Feralis' notes. The key to the Bio section is knowing what you don't know and focusing on those parts instead of going over the same stale material over and over again trying to memorize it better. It's multiple choice so as long as you are able to recognize the material, you can figure it out. Really have to cast a wide net for Bio, which is why I recommend multiple different sources.
Thank you for your tips! You are right that I still need to get more shadowing hours, but I still have to retake the exam due to that bio score. I am an international student with no green card, which means that in order for me to get into a dental school I have to have a really high DAT score (my undergrad GPA was bad). And that 17 does not look good.

Thank you! Btw do you happen to know how much it costs? I tried to look it up on the website and I can't find it.
It's costs $97 for 100 days, plus I think DAT bootcamp offers a code to get 25 percent off on DAT genius too. Just take a look at Ari's 2017 study guide for the discount code

It's costs $97 for 100 days, plus I think DAT bootcamp offers a code to get 25 percent off on DAT genius too. Just take a look at Ari's 2017 study guide for the discount code

Found it! Thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user