Studying for Int. Med. Boards??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacksparrow82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm a current second year resident, just finished and passed Step 3 and I'm now ready to start tackling the Int. Med. boards so I can get them out of the way as quickly as possible. (otherwise no job after I graduate:))
Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback/advice about studying for this massive test. I've got well over a year now to get a study plan in place and stick to it, but I have no idea where to get started.
What are some options for study materials, practice questions, other advice? My program provides MKSAP, but I don't really care for those books too much as they seem kind of lacking in detail.
Other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty positive that you can't take the IM boards until you've already finished residency, so yes you can get a job without passing the IM boards.
Most people I know studied with either MKSAP CD (or books) or with the Medstudy series. Both are overpriced but if you study from those for a few months then unlikely you wouldn't pass...the passing rate for IM boards is pretty high.
p.s. When you sign up next year, you need to do it early...the deadline used to be in February or beginning of March to take the test in August. If you wait too long to sign up you have to pay a late fee.

I've heard from numerous credible sources that MKSAP15 is the gold standard. It is expensive, but they offer a guarantee that they will refund your money if you don't pass the IM boards after taking all 1000 of their practice questions. This doesn't matter to you if your program provides you with MKSAP15, but at least it tells you that ACP is very confident in their product (and the fact that your program provides it for you tells you that your program is very confident in this product as well).

Members don't see this ad :)
My program provides MKSAP, but I don't really care for those books too much as they seem kind of lacking in detail.
Other suggestions?

Too much detail can be a bad thing. This becomes very important for the IM boards and any subspecialty boards you take in the future. While a good IM knowledge base will go a long ways to passing the boards, the most effective way to pass the boards is to study for them specifically. So any "details" you feel are lacking out of MKSAP are likely omitted for the simple reason that they're not relevant to passing the boards. Studying for the boards with board specific material goes much faster than trying to do so with non-dedicated materials.

I took the boards using MedStudy to read and MKSAP for questions, which worked out well. I found the Med Study dense, but to the point. Much less text than in MKSAP. The MKSAP questions were pretty on the money.

My general approach: A few months out, tried to thoroughly read the sections of MedStudy where I felt weakest (for me that was renal and heme-onc), then about 1-2 months out, moved primarily to questions with supplemental reading where I clearly had deficits.

Hi,

I am studying for ABIM as well - failed last year - and want to know what people think about Kaplan Medical vs MKSAP. I am using MKSAP 15 as my main studying and question source and am doing much better than I did while studying last year, around 60-65% on question percentage. But I am doing a lot worse on Kaplan, which I find very difficult but useful for content. Anyone else using Kaplan?

thanks
PCDoc

I'm using MKSAP14, a little broke at the moment to buy MKSAP15. Are there any major differences between the two?

Hi,

I am studying for ABIM as well - failed last year - and want to know what people think about Kaplan Medical vs MKSAP. I am using MKSAP 15 as my main studying and question source and am doing much better than I did while studying last year, around 60-65% on question percentage. But I am doing a lot worse on Kaplan, which I find very difficult but useful for content. Anyone else using Kaplan?

thanks
PCDoc

waht were ur percentages last year like?

MKSAP is usually more than enough. If you faithfully do all the questions and review the answers/explanations you should be more than prepared. I started using MKSAP early during my 3rd year and would read the respective section when I was on a consult elective.
ACP publishes a question book for the exam which I recommend getting as well (I can't remember the name though). The book was excellent practice prior to the test. What worked for me was getting my read on time and doing as many questions as possible

Okay, so I'm a current second year resident, just finished and passed Step 3 and I'm now ready to start tackling the Int. Med. boards so I can get them out of the way as quickly as possible. (otherwise no job after I graduate:))
Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback/advice about studying for this massive test. I've got well over a year now to get a study plan in place and stick to it, but I have no idea where to get started.
What are some options for study materials, practice questions, other advice? My program provides MKSAP, but I don't really care for those books too much as they seem kind of lacking in detail.
Other suggestions?

Hello I am also going to join 2nd year and planning to read small topics from MKSAP 15 . If you are interested please reply [email protected]. for motivation and discussion . thanks

waht were ur percentages last year like?
also failed when i took it in 2008. Taking it again this year. Focussing primarily on MKSAP15 questions and any other questions i can get my hands on...medstudy and older mksap q's. how do you find kaplan questions harder? have not looked at any of those.

I did the ACP board review course and I'm doing Medstudy/ ACP/ Mayoclinic. That should keep me really busy for the next couple of months!

Does anyone have any experience with the Internal Medicine Q-Bank from Kaplan? I've never heard anyone talk about it and was wondering if it is any good. I thought they were pretty good for USMLE exams.

Any idea when the next MKSAP edition or Med Study edition will come out? Thanks

MKSAP 15 came out this year - so it will be a few years before 16. MKSAP 14 online will cease to be available as of June 30th.