Studying for organ blocks/NBME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cj_cregg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just wrapped up my first semester of M1 and will be starting organ blocks with NBME exams. Previously our exams were not NBME/organ system-based, so I'm just trying to get a feel for what I can expect. I've talked to some M2s at my school, and I know it's different for everyone based on your study style. But I'm just curious how people study for organ blocks. Could you just give a brief summary of how you study and what resources you use?

Also, here are some recommendations I've gotten in terms of resources. Are there any of these you highly recommend, or don't recommend at all? Anything not on this list I should consider getting?
  • First Aid for USMLE Step 1
  • First Aid for Basic Sciences (Organ Systems for our tests, General Principles for Step 1 studying)
  • Costanzo Physiology
  • Pathoma (book + online thing)
  • SketchyMedical for pharm and micro
  • High-Yield Embryology
  • Kaplan Qbank
  • USMLE-Rx
  • UWorld - told to wait for dedicated time to get this
Thanks so much!
As long as you're making sure to do well in your classes at the same time, then I'd say just UFAP: FA for USMLE Step 1, Pathoma, and UWorld. (Maybe Sketchy.)

It can depend on which organ system. However if you're still in M1 year you probably shouldn't be burning through Step 1 question banks (definitely do not waste UWorld during first year). Costanzo is great, First Aid isn't bad, Pathoma is very good to review just before the exam, and Clinical Micro MRS/Clinical Neuroanatomy MRS are very nice.

Don't bog yourself down with too many resources at first. Pick a few and see what works.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just wrapped up my first semester of M1 and will be starting organ blocks with NBME exams. Previously our exams were not NBME/organ system-based, so I'm just trying to get a feel for what I can expect. I've talked to some M2s at my school, and I know it's different for everyone based on your study style. But I'm just curious how people study for organ blocks. Could you just give a brief summary of how you study and what resources you use?

Also, here are some recommendations I've gotten in terms of resources. Are there any of these you highly recommend, or don't recommend at all? Anything not on this list I should consider getting?
  • First Aid for USMLE Step 1
  • First Aid for Basic Sciences (Organ Systems for our tests, General Principles for Step 1 studying)
  • Costanzo Physiology
  • Pathoma (book + online thing)
  • SketchyMedical for pharm and micro
  • High-Yield Embryology
  • Kaplan Qbank
  • USMLE-Rx
  • UWorld - told to wait for dedicated time to get this
Thanks so much!

Costanzo is really helpful! If you can, supplement the reading with her Cases and Problems book.

It can depend on which organ system. However if you're still in M1 year you probably shouldn't be burning through Step 1 question banks (definitely do not waste UWorld during first year). Costanzo is great, First Aid isn't bad, Pathoma is very good to review just before the exam, and Clinical Micro MRS/Clinical Neuroanatomy MRS are very nice.

Don't bog yourself down with too many resources at first. Pick a few and see what works.
I guess exams at my school must be easy then... I have been using pathoma exclusively while doing questions in Rx/lippincotts and I am doing really well.