What is a safe NBME % to stop studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

voxveritatisetlucis

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Taking exam in early May and have been scoring low to mid 80% on NBME forms which corresponds to a 99% chance of passing. My dedicated starts in mid march and I’m wondering if there is any benefit to studying more during this period? Will studying to the point where I can score high eighties help for step 2/clerkships or is it a waste of time?
 
You can absolutely move up your test date. A lot of people take the exam in the mid/low 70s and still turn out fine.

I think your ROI for step 2 and clerkships will be minimal going from 83 to 90.
 
IMHO if you have 3 or more NBME forms where you're scoring with a 99% chance of passing, you should take Step 1 sooner rather than later. Better to give yourself a really nice, long break before rotations start than to keep studying and risk plateauing or burning out for a Pass/Fail exam. I'd suggest moving your test date to, like, the first week of your school's dedicated period.
 
IMHO if you have 3 or more NBME forms where you're scoring with a 99% chance of passing, you should take Step 1 sooner rather than later. Better to give yourself a really nice, long break before rotations start than to keep studying and risk plateauing or burning out for a Pass/Fail exam. I'd suggest moving your test date to, like, the first week of your school's dedicated period.
Yup, take it bro