What is a safe NBME % to stop studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking exam in early May and have been scoring low to mid 80% on NBME forms which corresponds to a 99% chance of passing. My dedicated starts in mid march and I’m wondering if there is any benefit to studying more during this period? Will studying to the point where I can score high eighties help for step 2/clerkships or is it a waste of time?

Members don't see this ad.

You should move up your test date and use dedicated for research/vacation (unless your school allows you to roll it over to step 2 dedicated in which case do that)

Reactions: 9 users
You can absolutely move up your test date. A lot of people take the exam in the mid/low 70s and still turn out fine.

I think your ROI for step 2 and clerkships will be minimal going from 83 to 90.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO if you have 3 or more NBME forms where you're scoring with a 99% chance of passing, you should take Step 1 sooner rather than later. Better to give yourself a really nice, long break before rotations start than to keep studying and risk plateauing or burning out for a Pass/Fail exam. I'd suggest moving your test date to, like, the first week of your school's dedicated period.

IMHO if you have 3 or more NBME forms where you're scoring with a 99% chance of passing, you should take Step 1 sooner rather than later. Better to give yourself a really nice, long break before rotations start than to keep studying and risk plateauing or burning out for a Pass/Fail exam. I'd suggest moving your test date to, like, the first week of your school's dedicated period.
Yup, take it bro

Reactions: 1 user