Studying for Reading comp.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sickeye29

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i feel im ready for every part of the DAT except for the reading comp. I've always done horrible on reading comp even on the SAT's. So one of my friends gave me a MCAT book called "101 passages in Mcat verbal reasoning." For those wise ones out there, do you think it's a waste of my time to do one or two passages a day from this book?

heres a link of the book on half.com

Thanks,

Sickeye

Members don't see this ad.

the mcat verbal section and the dat reading comp section are pretty different. having studied for both tests, i think the mcat verbal section requires more critical thinking and analysis, while for the dat reading comp, all you're doing really is finding the answer in the passage and being quick about it.

i would suggest just practicing dat reading comp exercises instead of studying for the verbal section of the mcat. :p

The best tool for studying for the reading comp. for me at least was Topscore i felt the passages reflected the actual DAT in a very similar fassion.

Members don't see this ad :)
the mcat verbal section and the dat reading comp section are pretty different. having studied for both tests, i think the mcat verbal section requires more critical thinking and analysis, while for the dat reading comp, all you're doing really is finding the answer in the passage and being quick about it.

i would suggest just practicing dat reading comp exercises instead of studying for the verbal section of the mcat. :p

I agree 100%. Don't waste your time with MCAT reading passages. The tests are just too different.

honestly the answers to the questions asked in reading comp are found word for word in the passages, so i would suggest skimming the passage and writing down the topic of each paragraph and then going straight to the questions and searching for the answers...that worked best for me and i got a 24..i also had enough time to recheck every single question, and trust me im not the fastest reader..so dont worry about reading in depth and comprehending the passage, just skim and take quick notes so you can find answers faster, then read the questions...good luck!:D

yea right koochoo, pple have been saying there are almost 10 inference questions per passage, i don't feel i am actually preparing well for this section by studying acheiver and topscore, they all have alot of questions about finding details in the passage and only 2-3 inference questions, even kaplan doesn't have that many, i am really hopeless on this section, but what to do i have not other sources

The best tool for studying for the reading comp. for me at least was Topscore i felt the passages reflected the actual DAT in a very similar fassion.
3 RC exercises are far from enough.

yea right koochoo, pple have been saying there are almost 10 inference questions per passage, i don't feel i am actually preparing well for this section by studying acheiver and topscore, they all have alot of questions about finding details in the passage and only 2-3 inference questions, even kaplan doesn't have that many, i am really hopeless on this section, but what to do i have not other sources
There aren't nearly as many as 10 inference questions..most of them are detailed question..for each section you might be 1 or 2 inference questions