MD & DO Studying for Step 1 after third year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kopftonmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I go to a school where the preclinical curriculum is condensed into 1.5 years (we'll be starting systems in March) and we take Step 1/2 CS/2CK essentially one after another. After we finish rotations we get a few months of dedicated for Step 1 and can take more time to study for the two Step 2 portions.

I looked around briefly for discussion on how to study best in this kind of curriculum and didn't find a ton of advice on SDN. So: I was thinking using UWorld Step 1 during systems, then coming back to it during dedicated, and using UWorld Step 2 for rotations (plus other resources as needed) in between. Any thoughts on this? Any other insight?

Thank y'all kindly.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar program and studying for step 1 after finishing core rotations. I highly recommend waiting to do Uworld step 1 qbank until dedicated. If you feel like you need a resource, try another qbank like Kaplan. The more novel questions you see, the better off you'll be. Personally, I used Amboss instead of Uworld step 2 qbank on clinic because their resource includes all material for step 1 (to study when you have time) and step 2 (for everyday shelf studying) and I have found the questions to be of comparable quality for the shelf exams (I honored all without using Uworld and I am a pretty average student). The interface is also much nicer and it includes access to a library full of super useful information/videos that you can use on rotations of for basic science review.

Reactions: 1 user