Studying for the DAT In One Month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nostalgicfreedom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently a sophomore in a 7 year dental program, so I will be applying this year for dental school! I will also have to take the DAT this year. I am trying to study as much as I can during this semester; however, I am taking 18 credits and don't think I will have any substantial time to actually study for the exam. I want to get into very tough dental schools like UPenn, so I really want to score well on the DAT and have everything in my application, so I can be in the first batch. I plan to take it during May 31st. Does studying for a month seem possible enough to score at least a 23AA? If so, does anyone have a good 1-month DAT study plan that I could follow (because I'm having a little trouble making one myself). Or do you guys suggest sending in my application during the first week of June but taking the exam during mid-June?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not recommend studying for the DAT in one month, especially if you can take it in mid-June with more studying. If you want, start practicing with PAT tips and reading science articles during your hectic semester. If you can follow Ari's bootcamp study schedule and take the DAT mid-june, that would probably be your best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I am currently a sophomore in a 7 year dental program, so I will be applying this year for dental school! I will also have to take the DAT this year. I am trying to study as much as I can during this semester; however, I am taking 18 credits and don't think I will have any substantial time to actually study for the exam. I want to get into very tough dental schools like UPenn, so I really want to score well on the DAT and have everything in my application, so I can be in the first batch. I plan to take it during May 31st. Does studying for a month seem possible enough to score at least a 23AA? If so, does anyone have a good 1-month DAT study plan that I could follow (because I'm having a little trouble making one myself). Or do you guys suggest sending in my application during the first week of June but taking the exam during mid-June?
I would strongly advise against trying to take the DAT in a month. If you perform poorly, you'll be in a bad spot. You would have to wait 3 months to retake, which would make your application late. I'd take more time to study. You'd really be shooting yourself in the foot if you don't perform.

Also, "batches" are a thing of the past as of this last cycle. Applications are submitted electronically to schools in real-time from when you complete everything. Of course, early submission is still a good idea. That said, you would be much better off submitting in July with a strong DAT score instead of at the beginning of June with a potentially terrible score. Take the DAT seriously... it has a big impact on your application!

It's possible. If you are going to do that I would recommend condensing Ari's study guide on DAT Bootcamp into one month.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have too few hours to study, so you want to attempt a one month study? That's nuts. You'd probably need to be putting in like 8 hours a day to have a fair shot at a 23 in that time. It's much wiser to take it in late June or whatever gives you a minimum of a month with zero class overlap. I took mine (23) in early July and have had 10 interviews so far, so ignore the "too late" talk.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems like something will suffer, either your grades or DAT. I'm taking my DAT on Feb 11th, but I dont go back to work until January 22nd. Plus, I've been studying here and there for a minute. I really would like to practice the PAT every day using bootcamp. Although, my subscription ended, does bootcamp have an extention for about 3 weeks for students that didn' plan so well....?

Yes, it seems like something will suffer, either your grades or DAT. I'm taking my DAT on Feb 11th, but I dont go back to work until January 22nd. Plus, I've been studying here and there for a minute. I really would like to practice the PAT every day using bootcamp. Although, my subscription ended, does bootcamp have an extention for about 3 weeks for students that didn' plan so well....?

Ari offers a free three week extension if your DAT is within three weeks of your expiration date. Just send him an email roughly three weeks out from your DAT date and he can renew your membership for free.

1 month is plausible if you feel you're strong in GC and OC. Since you're a sophmore, this may be the case. If you feel you are, you can start practicing PAT and RC throughout the semester and then focus the bulk of your studies on Bio and QR (Destroyer and BootCamp) come May. I think it'd show top tier schools' admissions what kind of student/applicant you are if you scored a 23 while juggling 18 hours! But it all depends on how comfortable you currently are with the material. I suggest taking the 2007 or 2009 DAT and using your scores to determine your approach :) And honestly you can start prepping now with the intentions of taking it May 31st and simply reschedule for a $25 to $60 fee if you find you need more time.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 month is plausible if you feel you're strong in GC and OC. Since you're a sophmore, this may be the case. If you feel you are, you can start practicing PAT and RC throughout the semester and then focus the bulk of your studies on Bio and QR (Destroyer and BootCamp) come May. I think it'd show top tier schools' admissions what kind of student/applicant you are if you scored a 23 while juggling 18 hours! But it all depends on how comfortable you currently are with the material. I suggest taking the 2007 or 2009 DAT and using your scores to determine your approach :) And honestly you can start prepping now with the intentions of taking it May 31st and simply reschedule for a $25 to $60 fee if you find you need more time.
Great advice! The best advice I can give any student is not to take the DAT until you feel fully prepared. Destroy the Beast in the first round. Schools see how many times you have taken the DAT and IMO you are in better position taking the DAT once.

Nancy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I studied for the DAT for ~1 month and got accepted to UPenn on Dec. 1. My advice would be if possible to study all day every day for a month which is what I did then slow down as the test date approaches so that your mind and body has time to rest. I tried to take multiple practice exams a week and then thoroughly review why I got each answer wether I got it right or wrong. I had a strong foundation in bio gen chem and I had just finished taking orgo the semester before I took the DAT, as i tutor all of those subjects regularly which helped limit the time I spent on those sections so I could focus on math, PAT and reading comp. Good Luck!!

Reactions: 1 users