studying for written board exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guevara

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be alittle too soon for some but I just want to get organized before I actually start cramming.While searching the web I came across this website www.anesthesiahq.com He sells his study materials for the written boards for $299. Does anyone have any first hand or second hand experience with these notes? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This might be alittle too soon for some but I just want to get organized before I actually start cramming.While searching the web I came across this website www.anesthesiahq.com He sells his study materials for the written boards for $299. Does anyone have any first hand or second hand experience with these notes? Thanks.

I just looked that site up as well and looked over the sample chapter. It actually looked pretty good. If anybody has any experience with his review materials, I'd love to hear about it. Also, if any of you with experience happen to look over the sample chapter and formulate an opinion as to its worth, that would be most excellent for those of us trying to become like you :)
http://www.anesthesiahq.com/ahq_pdf/USG_Written_e3_web.pdf

Thanks!

PMMD

Members don't see this ad :)
Faust

Michelle star

Chattigan and hall

If you nail these then you will be in the passing ballpark.

Add Morgan and Mikhail to that list. If you notice on that sample chapter above, and in the study guides listed above, the one book that is consistently referenced is Morgan and Mikhail.

Faust

Michelle star

Chattigan and hall

If you nail these then you will be in the passing ballpark.

why did you put faust on top of the list..
it should read

michelle starr

mikhail and morgan

pharm and phys

barash

michelle starr is good becuase she breaks it down into key words then lists the most salient points about that key word.. faust just reads like a big old nasty ass textbook.. everyone knows retention is better in the bullet like format.. the only thing with starr is that its getting old and hasnt been revised in like 8 years i think.. she needs to get on that.. she used to be faculty at emory i dont know where she is now.. she made a name badge called anna stesia..

why did you put faust on top of the list..
it should read

michelle starr

mikhail and morgan

pharm and phys

barash

michelle starr is good becuase she breaks it down into key words then lists the most salient points about that key word.. faust just reads like a big old nasty ass textbook.. everyone knows retention is better in the bullet like format.. the only thing with starr is that its getting old and hasnt been revised in like 8 years i think.. she needs to get on that.. she used to be faculty at emory i dont know where she is now.. she made a name badge called anna stesia..

So there is one specific sequence? I was unaware of that. I wished I had known that before I passed with Miller, Faust, and Hall during my residency.

Do you guys think that some of these review books and board preparation books are good for CA-1's just starting out or should we stick more to the textbooks?

Seriously people, there are multiple excellent board review sources. It seems like every resident I talk to has a preference of which he/she likes, and yes there are some names that come up over and over again.

So this being said, one commonality of opinion is this:read something! Be methodical and intense. I personally do not like the format of Morgan, and it is unpleasant to me, but I know residents who claim they used it soley, and they smoked the boards-hmm my loss I'm sure.

But find something that you like, and the more books you look at, you will realize that the material is the same stuff. Yes some resources are higher yield.

From experience this past July, the sources above do work.
Hope this helps.

I'll let you know how it looks. I went ahead and ordered it. He did email me back and let me know that a new revision is coming out in mid-October and asked if I'd like to wait and receive that one. I agreed, so I won't have anything until next month, but the sample chapter looked pretty good. Until then, it's Big Blue.

Regards,
PMMD

So there is one specific sequence? I was unaware of that. I wished I had known that before I passed with Miller, Faust, and Hall during my residency.

uhh, well, just stating my opinion. faust is just another textbook to me. plus it has many errors. starr does too but less so. and its more retention oriented.. mikkail morgan is an awesome book.. but its not for quick retention type reading..

uhh, well, just stating my opinion. faust is just another textbook to me. plus it has many errors. starr does too but less so. and its more retention oriented.. mikkail morgan is an awesome book.. but its not for quick retention type reading..

Must have misread:oops:

Just wanted to thank everyone for replying to my post. I'm going to hold out for now on those notes and see how it goes with the books I already have. Hey PMMD, don't forget to write us back when you get your copy.

Do you guys have any suggestions for written Board review classes? My program gives us a stipend and one week off to spend on one of these review courses.:) Which would you attend?
A) Jensen
B) Rashad
C) Osler
D) Other (please specify)
E) None (can't keep the cash but I'd probably be able to spend it on books)

By the way, no one has mentioned 'Basics of Anesthesia' by Stoelting, there is a new edition in color, associated with 'a website access' coming in November according to rittenhouse.

Thanks again,

Guevara

My programs sends residents to many review courses out there, and again the name Jenson keeps coming up.... I am going to Jensons in LA next summer and I am looking forward to it. Rumors have it that it is fairly intense but worthwhile.

I personally feel that Basics text is an introductory book, and I have no plans to use that when I have much better in my opinion resources. I studied from that real hard as an intern and wasnt very pleased with the results until this year when I put that book down!

I personally feel that Basics text is an introductory book, and I have no plans to use that when I have much better in my opinion resources. I studied from that real hard as an intern and wasnt very pleased with the results until this year when I put that book down!

Basics is a great book for your first month of residency.

With the board failing so many people you need read much more than basics.

Pass rate for the ABA written board exam
1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004
84% 74% 71% 77% 84% 86% 83% US MD graduates first takers
80% 67% 59% 75% 71% 76% 72% All first takers
50% 35% 30% 38% 45% 42% 38% All repeat takers

Estimated percentages for the ABA written board exam. Source: ABA Newsletter