studying frusturation in undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

macinici

This is my first post so we'll see how this goes.

This isn't necessarily regarding med school but just doing well in school overall which eventually affects the whole med school application deal.

I'm currently a first year and I'm a bit frustarated with the whole studying issue.

Last semester I had a 4.0 but this semester is tougher. I know that I'm capable of doing the material, but I fnd myself at times behind the schedule studying too many hours for something which I originally believed shouldn't have taken that long. I'm at the point of quite of bit of frusturation and starting to wonder whether I'm capable of doing this or whether my schedule is tougher than I assess it to be (I don't think so), whether I'm an efficient student etc.

I'm simply curious if there are other undergrads out there or past undergrads that are going or have gone through this. Was a specific semester just so much more difficult than it should have been because you simply needed time to adjust things and learn what works for you and how you need to learn?

Are there any extremes out there? I don't know what to do. Should I talk to a counselor or advisor, should I just keep working and trying to imporve and even though it may take a while eventually things will get better and I will perfect my methods?

wow-long post

Members don't see this ad.

This is my first post so we'll see how this goes.

This isn't necessarily regarding med school but just doing well in school overall which eventually affects the whole med school application deal.

I'm currently a first year and I'm a bit frustarated with the whole studying issue.

Last semester I had a 4.0 but this semester is tougher. I know that I'm capable of doing the material, but I fnd myself at times behind the schedule studying too many hours for something which I originally believed shouldn't have taken that long. I'm at the point of quite of bit of frusturation and starting to wonder whether I'm capable of doing this or whether my schedule is tougher than I assess it to be (I don't think so), whether I'm an efficient student etc.

I'm simply curious if there are other undergrads out there or past undergrads that are going or have gone through this. Was a specific semester just so much more difficult than it should have been because you simply needed time to adjust things and learn what works for you and how you need to learn?

Are there any extremes out there? I don't know what to do. Should I talk to a counselor or advisor, should I just keep working and trying to imporve and even though it may take a while eventually things will get better and I will perfect my methods?

wow-long post
Yup, some semesters and some courses just really stink. Suck it up and do well.

you are a first year, go out and party.

If you think under grad is a lot of studying wait until med school. Get a lot of partying done in under grad cause you wont have that much time in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
you are a first year, go out and party.

If you think under grad is a lot of studying wait until med school. Get a lot of partying done in under grad cause you wont have that much time in med school.

:thumbdown: Party some, but not too much. You want to get a good GPA if you want to go somewhere besides MCV.

yah, it's called college. you get used to it. manage your time.

you are a freshmen....why on earth are you worrying about this crap? just go party...believe me..no year is as good as freshman year and the last months before you graduate. soak it up.

yah, it's called college. you get used to it. manage your time.

you are a freshmen....why on earth are you worrying about this crap? just go party...believe me..no year is as good as freshman year and the last months before you graduate. soak it up.

Last months are meant for partying, because hopefully you've been accepted to where you want to go, instead of hating yourself for a low GPA which kept doors closed... and was due to slacking of freshman year.

I found 1st year to be the worst, just because you don't kow how to "play the game" yet. Meet older students, find out which classes/professors are easier/harder, and try to get a good mix each semester. Also, find out if you can get their old notes/tests, and which classes you *really* need to read the book for, and which you just need class notes. You'll find your groove.

I did not think about medical school-related things the first two years of college, and I don't think it hurt me one bit. Just focus on doing the best YOU can, not what adcoms want. Have fun, party, live your life.

Well, you've got a pretty nice advantage, from a GPA standpoint. Many people here probably got somewhere around a 3.0-3.4 freshman year which you spend all three years trying to raise your GPA to a 3.6 overall- its hard!

I can see why you are worried, really. A 4.0 first semester/quarter whatever puts really high expectations on you, I mean not to sound bad- but the only place your GPA can go is down.

I think your fine though, and you don't have to party. Just make sure your next semester/quarter is at least a 3.6 From 3.6-4.0 range there's not too much of a difference, so don't worry about needing to have the 4.0 for every other quarter. But seriously, you know what helps- doing extracurriculars, do clubs and other stuff- you find the time to balance school and study effectively!! All the 6 hrs. you spend studying...if you only now have 2 to give- you honestly still find the same time to learn what you learned in 6 hrs.

My first time through college, my sophomore year was one big black mark, personally and academically. I was taking 20 credits (we were required to do so), including intensive German, intensive Japanese, upper level philosophies, and the general requirements I didn't want to take (e.g., 2 theologies, genetics, and calculus). I was working 10-15 hours on top of that, and at age 18-19, I had no idea what I was doing. It sucked mightily.

My semester GPA has been anywhere from 3.5 to 4.2+. It's just the way things are. Some semesters will be tougher than others.