First author projects in undergrad funding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BroncosCountry12

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had experience applying for research funding in undergrad. I know there are a decent amount of people who are able to lead their own projects in a lab, but I was wondering where you guys got the funding for this? I have tried searching extensively online for grants meant for undergrads, but have been unsuccessful.

Would appreciate if any of you can lead me in right direction.

(Note: Asking because my PI suggested I find some small grants to apply for so that I can do a project first author; he would let me use lab space as well as give me some resources like some free mice, chemicals, etc)

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
(Note: Asking because my PI suggested I find some small grants to apply for so that I can do a project first author; he would let me use lab space as well as give me some resources like some free mice, chemicals, etc)
That is crazy. If your PI really suggested that obtaining your own independent funding is how you can become the first author on a project, then he is really saying that you can't be a first author on a project. The only possible grant you could realistically compete for would be if your school has some small awards set aside for undergrads--so you may want to ask around and see if there are any internal awards that you could apply for, but keep in mind these are usually very nominal awards so your PI would really have to foot most of the bill on your project.

To be clear, this is not unusual--there are a bunch of labs that won't let undergrads have ANY authorship, period. And while I think a student could reasonably have some level of authorship as a personal goal when entering a lab, I frankly can't imagine an undergrad ever contributing sufficiently to a publishable project to merit first authorship.

Reactions: 1 users
You could apply to your own university's undergraduate research office grants if they award them. It won't be a lot of money but it won't be a huge grant amount anyway. There are other grants that you could get that are more local, but ask the university's research office.

Reactions: 1 users