Studying Gen Chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mommymed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a REALLY hard time studying gen chem for the MCAT. Probably because I hated gen chem when I took it, but I'm having a problem focusing on the review. When I get to a section I don't like, such as phases, or thermodynamics, I sort of just skip it and dismiss it as "non-useful" which I KNOW is not true.

Does anyone have any tips? Maybe videos or websites that are more interactive than an MCAT textbook?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a REALLY hard time studying gen chem for the MCAT. Probably because I hated gen chem when I took it, but I'm having a problem focusing on the review. When I get to a section I don't like, such as phases, or thermodynamics, I sort of just skip it and dismiss it as "non-useful" which I KNOW is not true.

Does anyone have any tips? Maybe videos or websites that are more interactive than an MCAT textbook?

Thanks!

Chad Video
Kahn Academy
Wikipremed

Google them ;)

You just gotta do it. It's that simple. You and I both know you need to know it for MCAT so what's the hold up? It seems that GenChem on the MCAT is very repetitive, and it requires that you know the BASICS of general chemistry. Focus on broad concepts at the very least. It does not take long and it is effective for answering any questions on the MCAT. Don't dwell on details, MCAT is concept-based and passages usually supply you with the information you need to know. Hope that makes it easier to study... Get to it!!!

Thanks!

Something that may help with general chemistry that should make it easier to self-motivate for is to realize that you have seen it every year of college. It's been a part of physics, organic chemistry, and biology. So change your perspective a little and see how it applies elsewhere. Review (relearn) kinetics from biochemistry first, and then look at it using the general chemistry terminology. Review fluids and solids in physics first, and then look at gases and phases. There is enough overlap that if you review general chemistry after the other subjects, then at least half of the material in general chemistry will be fresh[i/] by the time you officially review it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something that may help with general chemistry that should make it easier to self-motivate for is to realize that you have seen it every year of college. It's been a part of physics, organic chemistry, and biology. So change your perspective a little and see how it applies elsewhere. Review (relearn) kinetics from biochemistry first, and then look at it using the general chemistry terminology. Review fluids and solids in physics first, and then look at gases and phases. There is enough overlap that if you review general chemistry after the other subjects, then at least half of the material in general chemistry will be fresh[i/] by the time you officially review it.

Thank you. This mindset is really what I need, so that chemistry doesn't seem like this really boring, irrelevant topic that I seem to make it be.