Studying MCAT Sophomore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eare

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone think this a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone thinks this a good ideas.
Do you mean studying at the end of sophomore year? Or during?

It's not uncommon to study for the MCAT at the end of sophomore year, because many pre-meds finish their pre-reqs during their second year.

If you mean studying during sophomore year, I guess it would depend on the situation. If you plan to take the exam in the Spring or as soon as sophomore year ends, then probably not a bad idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a great idea if you've already taken/AP'ed out of Bio, Inorganic, Orgo, and Physics.

Otherwise it's a terrible idea.

I didn't study for the MCAT until February of my Junior year, but I took it in April. It all depends when you are taking it.

I personally think studying specifically for the MCAT more than 3-4 months in advance is a waste.

Anyone thinks this a good ideas.

Depends. Are you the type of person who works better if you stay home and cram 14 hours a day for 2 weeks or study regularly for 3 hours everyday for a year. If you're the latter, then yes sophmore year is a good start.

At the maximum you should start studying five months before. Otherwise unless you're brushing up on knowledge and skills that you wont forget like reading comprehension, reading speed, mathematical skills without a calculator, then you're just going to be wasting time better spent acing your classes. Ace your required classes, then MCAT studying will basically be review.

Do you mean studying at the end of sophomore year? Or during?

It's not uncommon to study for the MCAT at the end of sophomore year, because many pre-meds finish their pre-reqs during their second year.

If you mean studying during sophomore year, I guess it would depend on the situation. If you plan to take the exam in the Spring or as soon as sophomore year ends, then probably not a bad idea.

:thumbup:

If you're done with all or most of your premed reqs take it.

I'm a sophomore and getting it over with so I can focus on my PS early next year.

If you're done with all or most of your premed reqs take it.

I'm a sophomore and getting it over with so I can focus on my PS early next year.

This is getting a little off topic, but a personal statement doesn't take a year to write...