• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

studying micro

Fatalis

7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
    at my med school, micro is just brute memorization. The volume is a lot, so I need a good way to memorize all of these bugs in a short way. I cant read off a chart as it just takes too long. My current approach is using quizlet and putting the information in terms of a question and answer. I really dont know if this is effective.
    Any suggestions?

Wordead

10+ Year Member
    Dec 21, 2007
    1. Attending Physician
      at my med school, micro is just brute memorization. The volume is a lot, so I need a good way to memorize all of these bugs in a short way. I cant read off a chart as it just takes too long. My current approach is using quizlet and putting the information in terms of a question and answer. I really dont know if this is effective.
      Any suggestions?

Clinical micro made ridiculously simple.

You should try to understand rather than just memorize. A lot of it makes sense once you have an overall picture and see how they're related.

bobow98

Beast Mode
      10+ Year Member
    • Aug 15, 2009
      East Coast
      1. Attending Physician
        Use categories. If you see a sign or symptom, you should be able to come up with a list of differentials based on what's presented in the case.

Also, use stories and things that sound like the word.
        Example: Mucor the lava monster (mucormycosis) dwells in your nose cave and is super powerful. Only Amphoteracin B can kill him and he requires physical removal (debridement) or he'll go to your brain and destroy you. He's super hot at 90 degrees (right angle hyphae branching). That itself gives you lots of identifying info about the organism and is a unique story that you will not confuse.

The cheesier and funnier the story, the better.

chronicidal

Scrub
        7+ Year Member
        May 14, 2010
        1. Medical Student
          Visualized story mnemonics (e.g. picmonic.com) > verbal story mnemonics > acronym mnemonics > no mnemonics.

Anki (adaptive spaced repetition) > quizlet and other flashcards > reviewing a book like Deja Review that is in question-answer format > rereading a review book or textbook without quizzing yourself

Going from big picture to little picture > going from little picture to big picture > only knowing the big picture > trying to brute force memorize the little picture

Use First Aid and Clinical Micro MRS.

Last edited:
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.