Studying neuro along with course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiesb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to freak out a little bit about Neuro! I have two weeks of class left, 6 weeks until boards, and in Path we are just starting out last section, Neuropathology. I thought it would be helpful to review normal neuroanatomy before I tackled pathology (it was not my best subject), but it seems like they are very interrelated. I started reading HY Neuro, but its not really giving me a good review on first year Neuro like I thought it would.

Can someone help me focus my studying??? Should I just focus on my path course for now since most of the questions will probably be clincal anyways? This seems like such a huge section to leave for the very last two weeks of school! Thanks a lot AZCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

I read HY neuro and I thought it gave a very good overview of my first year neuro. Most of the things I read seemed familiar, though many say its too detailed for the boards.

If you want to review, just learn the tracts, where they cross, where the cell bodies are, and effect of stokes in different arteries (pica, aica, etc)

I'm starting to freak out a little bit about Neuro! I have two weeks of class left, 6 weeks until boards, and in Path we are just starting out last section, Neuropathology. I thought it would be helpful to review normal neuroanatomy before I tackled pathology (it was not my best subject), but it seems like they are very interrelated. I started reading HY Neuro, but its not really giving me a good review on first year Neuro like I thought it would.

Can someone help me focus my studying??? Should I just focus on my path course for now since most of the questions will probably be clincal anyways? This seems like such a huge section to leave for the very last two weeks of school! Thanks a lot AZCOM.

Neuroanatomy != neuropathology

They are very very different. If you had trouble with neuroanatomy, that doesn't at all mean you'll have trouble with neuropath (assuming you're talking about reviewing for your class). If you're trying to get a head start on reviewing for step 1, then yes, reviewing some neuroanatomy would be a good idea while you go over neuropath (e.g. reviewing pathways of basal ganglia while you learn about parkinson's).

I used kaplan neuroanatomy videos (along with the book). I highly recommend it because it gives you just the right amount of depth to jumpstart your brain for neuro and prep you to start building on that material, but at the same time it doesn't overload you.