Studying Ophthalmology Intern Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Life2dmax

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been some threads about how to study ophtho, but I'd like to get more opinions, especially since most programs in the country have a 3 month required block PGY-1 year. I'd like to be a bit more prepared for this rotation in October!

Some of the resources I've seen mentioned:
Kanski's
BCSC reading
Ophtho OKAP and Board review prep presentations
Practical Ophthalmology

Can't read them all but what are your thoughts what you'd use to begin? I've started reading Kanski's a bit but I don't think it's sticking much even with Anki

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Practical Ophthalmology from the AAO is a great starting place for a new Ophthalmology resident. Can be hard to find time to do extensive ophthalmology reading during PGY-1 year at some programs. I think this book is a great early residency read before diving deeper into more comprehensive learning like BCSC.

Practical ophthalmology and KANSKI. Read kanski a couple of times and you will know more than 95% of PGY2s

Members don't see this ad :)
youll probably be behind most other residents if you dont get through BCSC and Kanski at least once during intern year!

The first ophtho book I read was the wills eye manual.

It’s not structured in a very readable way but it’s got the highest density of clinically relevant material.

Practical ophthalmology will get you off to a good start. I started reading fundamentals, but it’s kind of hard to retain much when you are doing work that is so different. Kanski’s is good to skim.

youll probably be behind most other residents if you dont get through BCSC and Kanski at least once during intern year!
That is untrue. Most residents are not able to go through the entire BCSC series even in second year

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks all! Will try Practical Ophthalmology. Have been doing some OKAP slides which are pretty good :)

I'd start reading the thinner books of the BCSC -- e.g. Lens/Cataract and Glaucoma. Whatever you do, do not start with "Fundamentals" unless you want to fall asleep every night very early.

Reactions: 1 user