Studying over summer of second year

Started by em1029
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

em1029

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a current second year student. I was curious if anyone started reviewing over the summer between second and third year. I am very anxious about the NAVLE and did not know when was the best time to start studying?
 
Absolutely not. Having only first and second year under your belt isn't enough to really start studying for the NAVLE (with the exceptions of Mizzou, Mississippi, and U. Arizona as they start true clinics third year and have finished their didactics). You haven't learned all that will be on the NAVLE by the point.

I "started" the beginning of fourth year, which is March of third year at my school. I bought zuku for cheap at that point. Then promptly didn't do anything with it till August. The norm seems to be starting between 3 and 6 months prior to your exam. So that's May of fourth year at the earliest.

Another way to think about it: your didactic years are already study sessions for NAVLE because you're learning the information for the first time in lecture and then studying it for your regular curriculum anyways.
 
Totally agree with battie. If you feel you must do something, find the ICVA list of diseases that the NAVLE covers and try to follow that list as your clinical rotations move along. In cardio? Go through the cardio diseases of each species. It’ll not only help you for the test but when you do hardcore studying in 4th year, you’ll remember those diseases you studied more easily because you have a case or moment in time to associate with it.