studying over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cell bio and organic textbook arrived today, so do you think it would be wise to start reading the texts now and get a head start? Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but paging through these texts is giving me a bad feeling about next semester. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Reading through them without having any lectures will just make you more confused and more paranoid.

Another factor is that you just don't know what material will be covered and what will be skipped. It could help you out, or it could end up wasting your time and making your more confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only read the first chapter and skimmed through the rest of my cell bio book and that turned out to be helpful because the professor went into depth with the first chapter, the introduction. I wouldn't study the content because a lot does get skipped over.

if you're bored and have nothing else to do, then go ahead and do some reading.I mean it can't hurt you.

hnbui said:
if you're bored and have nothing else to do, then go ahead and do some reading.I mean it can't hurt you.

Agreed. Actually organic chem isn't that bad once you get used to some basic principles.

Cell bio, well if you remember a lot of bio 1 information, this is just an expansion of that. It is a lot of stuff on transcription, translation, gene regulation, etc.

It is a watered down version of biochem and genetics.

Read the "special features" that tell you how this stuff is applicable in real life for giggles and thrills, but no, don't even bother studying. This is summer.

I think studying bio could be tempting, but I would suggest taking up a hobby or spending some time at the gym. Or, study something that could actually help you become a more informed pre-med, such as the financial aspects of medicine. It's a hard system to understand, but it's important so you don't look like an idiot when someone asks you what the biggest problem is in medicine. Trust me, you'll look stupid if you say "Umm, I think the biggest problem is rising malpractice costs", and then can't back that statement up with any data (that's besides the fact that the problem of malpractice costs pales in comparison to the financial problems Medicare is facing, but thats another issue :))

btw what texts are you using?

might i suggest molecular bio of the cell for cell bio and london's organic chem book for orgo.

I was going to do summer studies but i got lazy. I might pick up on it again though since i have no work and nothing else to do.

hnbui said:
btw what texts are you using?

might i suggest molecular bio of the cell for cell bio and london's organic chem book for orgo.

I was going to do summer studies but i got lazy. I might pick up on it again though since i have no work and nothing else to do.
Thanks for the suggestions on texts. Right now I'm just using the ones that the professors recommended, albert's essential cell biology and organic chem by mcmurry.

what are these "books" you speak of?

read the post above yours... :rolleyes:

bbas said:
My cell bio and organic textbook arrived today, so do you think it would be wise to start reading the texts now and get a head start? Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but paging through these texts is giving me a bad feeling about next semester. :scared:

Just some advice for organic chem, I highly discourage memorizing reactions. Understanding mechanisms will make it easier for you in the longrun. I just thought I'd say this since you haven't started it yet. It's hard to get out of the habit of memorizing once you've started.

hnbui said:
read the post above yours... :rolleyes:

i meant my phrase to be a sarcastic joke as in "people read books?"

sorry if it made it seem as if i didn't see which books everyone was referring to, i do see how my statement can be mistaken as such

C.P. Jones said:
i meant my phrase to be a sarcastic joke as in "people read books?"

sorry if it made it seem as if i didn't see which books everyone was referring to, i do see how my statement can be mistaken as such
SDN lacks humor