Studying strategies for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lindseywlkr711

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting to study for the MCAT next week, I am taking my exam September 12th so I will have about 21-22 weeks to study. I took a diagnostic MCAT exam yesterday (on nextstep) and got a 491.

My study materials are:
-Kaplan books
-Khan academy videos
-AAMC question pack bundle
-AAMC MCAT official guide to the exam
-I am also going to get U-world (probably 90 day access to use after content review)

My study plan is: Read 1 Kaplan chapter, and watch corresponding khan academy videos everyday. I will do a different Kaplan book everyday (biochem-monday, gen chem-tuesday, bio-wednesday, orgo-thursday, physics-friday, behavior/psych-saturday, and CARs and review-sunday) This would be for 12 weeks then I would start doing practice questions and full length exams.

Is this study plan good, what should I change? Should I read all of my Kaplan books then do khan academy videos? or is mixing them together a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I would only watch KA videos if there's something you're confused about, as they can be pretty time consuming. I'd consider doing a couple CARS passages every day, as long term practice of CARS is the best way to improve and the skills you develop as you get better at CARS will benefit you in every section of the MCAT.

I would only watch KA videos if there's something you're confused about, as they can be pretty time consuming. I'd consider doing a couple CARS passages every day, as long term practice of CARS is the best way to improve and the skills you develop as you get better at CARS will benefit you in every section of the MCAT.
Thank you! Is there any specific book/brand you recommend?