Studying when it's hard to focus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuromaria9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm usually very good when it comes to making a studying schedule because I stick to it but the past two weeks have been awful for my mental health and I'm finding it IMPOSSIBLE to sit down and actually digest what I'm reading and studying. I have no idea how to actually focus. I think that studying while my mind is somewhere else is pointless because I'm not understanding anything I'm doing. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You might be lacking motivation. It happens to me sometimes but then I think about failing and my GPA dropping and then me not getting into medical school and then me crying and then me working in McDonald's. Yeah, that's what I think about and then I get back to studying mode. To cut it short: If you don't study, you'll perform badly in your classes most likely so use that to motivate you to study!

Like the material. I find chemistry very interesting, so I enjoy studying it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's not inherently a bad thing to have a D or C around midsemester or quarter equiv. Gets that fire going

https://www.calm.com/
Now requires Login.. Facebook will do.
Meditate and relax. Grab your textbook, study one word at a time.

Chillhop is a thing I guess, not a lot of people like Jazz or this kind of remixes because it's cheezy. But if it's your style, listen to them.
Relax and let yourself calm down before studying. I can't study when I'm hyped. Gotta be the Buddha man :D

Chillhop is a thing I guess, not a lot of people like Jazz or this kind of remixes because it's cheezy. But if it's your style, listen to them.
Relax and let yourself calm down before studying. I can't study when I'm hyped. Gotta be the Buddha man :D

Thank you! Do you have a suggestions on how to divide time to study for classes? I work part time and I have a test for anatomy next Tuesday (3 and a half chapters) and a microbio one next Wednesday (5 chapters). The micro professor doesn't go into detail and I got a higher grade on the last test for micro than for anatomy but I also have been ignoring micro a lot because of anatomy. Gaaah I'm so stressed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Another thought is just get out of the house and do some exercising. That's usually what helps me when I'm in a funk. I've also noticed I tend to eat a lot of junk when I'm stressed, so when I can't focus I pick up a fruit tray or something so i'm not eating junk further screwing up my ability to focus.

Last edited:
Thank you! Do you have a suggestions on how to divide time to study for classes? I work part time and I have a test for anatomy next Tuesday (3 and a half chapters) and a microbio one next Wednesday (5 chapters). The micro professor doesn't go into detail and I got a higher grade on the last test for micro than for anatomy but I also have been ignoring micro a lot because of anatomy. Gaaah I'm so stressed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'm about to take Micro + Anatomy this summer. Probably you should tell me how to study :D You are doing very well!
Part time job + school is insane.