Studying with a job that requires long hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Banker2MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had advice on how best to fit in studying with a job that requires long hours. I’m a banker and my average week is ~65 hours, although the hours can tick up to 95+ depending on deal volume. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there really a bank open that many hours in a week? For me personally, I get overwhelmed even working part time, but everyone handles things differently. I really recommend watching this video:
It helped me learn how to study efficiently. But really, my biggest advice is to prioritize. If you care about getting into medical school, obviously studying and grades are going to important so I'd cut back your hours on your job if you can. With that many hours, I can't imagine how you would have time for volunteering, hobbies, research, sleep, even a social life...Worst case scenario, take a light class load and limit your semesters to two science classes and electives or LE requirements (depending on the school you go to) and study in between classes and your job.

I don’t work in a branch, I’m a corporate banker in my firm’s Corporate/Investment Banking division. Unfortunately barring leaving my job, cutting back isn’t really an option. I appreciate the video and I’ll defin view it.

I graduated from undergrad half a decade ago so I’m now focused on studying for the MCAT.

Is there really a bank open that many hours in a week? For me personally, I get overwhelmed even working part time, but everyone handles things differently. I really recommend watching this video:
It helped me learn how to study efficiently. But really, my biggest advice is to prioritize. If you care about getting into medical school, obviously studying and grades are going to important so I'd cut back your hours on your job if you can. With that many hours, I can't imagine how you would have time for volunteering, hobbies, research, sleep, even a social life...Worst case scenario, take a light class load and limit your semesters to two science classes and electives or LE requirements (depending on the school you go to) and study in between classes and your job.

I was wondering if anyone had advice on how best to fit in studying with a job that requires long hours. I’m a banker and my average week is ~65 hours, although the hours can tick up to 95+ depending on deal volume. Any advice is appreciated.

While I only work 40 hours/weel, I understand where you're coming from. I get up 5am and study 1.5 hours before I leave, flashcards at lunch, and then for about 4 hours in the evening. I make sure to let my mind free by reading a book or watching a show before sleep. I use the weekend to study for a bit longer than I do during the week, catch up on sleep and do things I can't get done during the week.

It's hard, not gonna lie, but definitely doable!

Members don't see this ad :)
That 40 hour work life. Ugh. I'm currently studying for the MCAT while working full time (40 hrs) and it is difficult. My goal is to study at LEAST 15 hours per week. I've set up a schedule with what topics to cover for each day. Of course I am human and there are days where I will burn out but I at least try to watch a short video about the topic on KA or go over a set of flashcards.

So a sample day would look like:

4:00 am - wake up shower, breakfast, whatever you do to get ready for the day
5:00-6:30: Review material from the previous day.
leave to work
when I get to work I prep whatever I need to do
work is from 8-5 pm
I'll go over flashcards or a video during lunch but never anything new just to reinforce what I've learned before.
6: get home, relax for a bit, dinner
730-1030: STUDY
after that I prep the things I need for tomorrow and wind down.

Yeah I know it seems daunting because it seems like you'll never stop thinking during the day but just remember to take break days or else you WILL burn out. Also knowing the best way for you to study helps a lot. I'm more of a visual and hand written notes kind of person. Yeah hand written notes are time consuming but it works for me.

Hope this helped and good luck!

That 40 hour work life. Ugh. I'm currently studying for the MCAT while working full time (40 hrs) and it is difficult. My goal is to study at LEAST 15 hours per week. I've set up a schedule with what topics to cover for each day. Of course I am human and there are days where I will burn out but I at least try to watch a short video about the topic on KA or go over a set of flashcards.

So a sample day would look like:

4:00 am - wake up shower, breakfast, whatever you do to get ready for the day
5:00-6:30: Review material from the previous day.
leave to work
when I get to work I prep whatever I need to do
work is from 8-5 pm
I'll go over flashcards or a video during lunch but never anything new just to reinforce what I've learned before.
6: get home, relax for a bit, dinner
730-1030: STUDY
after that I prep the things I need for tomorrow and wind down.

Yeah I know it seems daunting because it seems like you'll never stop thinking during the day but just remember to take break days or else you WILL burn out. Also knowing the best way for you to study helps a lot. I'm more of a visual and hand written notes kind of person. Yeah hand written notes are time consuming but it works for me.

Hope this helped and good luck!

I wish I could survive on 5 hours of sleep a night. :(