Studying without First Aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babycapybara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like everyone uses FA. Has anyone not used it to prepare for Step 1? If not, why and what did you use instead?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan Home Study Books or Kaplan Lecture Notes are popular. Some high scorers on this forum used exclusively Kaplan materials.

It seems like everyone uses FA. Has anyone not used it to prepare for Step 1? If not, why and what did you use instead?

I know several people who have used MedEssentials instead (one scored >250 last year). I also knwo a girl who just graduated last year that didnt use FA or MedEssentials. She just read the review books for each pertinent subject when she took the boards. I don't know how well she did, but she matched into Optho at a reputable east coast program and she wasn't some ridiculously top-of-the-class girl in med school either. I personlly used FA while studying for the basic science stuff and whenever I'm doing USMLE World questions I put some nots in there, but I havent even looked at it for any of the organ systems so far. I read BRS Physio cover to cover and took about 30 pages of typed notes which I separated into systems and put into my 3-ring bound copy of FA which I will study from in my last couple weeks. I'm doing the same with BRS Path/Goljan audio as we speak. FA will be my "checklist" for the organ systems once I get done studying the real meat in the review books. I'm doing fine on USMLE World questions and on the NBME I took, so I'm not worried about failing the test by any means as a previous poster stated. Maybe it will come back bit me in the butt later, but honestly I keep talking to people at my school who are sooooo concerned about "ANNOTATING" first aid with everything that they're probably spending 25% of their time flipping back and forth trying to figure out whats in there and whats not, and I seem to think thats very inefficient. Of course there are those who find success with this, but I'd rather just sit down and read a book straight through, take notes on what I don't know (or what I think I'll forget) and then check it all off my list (First Aid) when I'm in the last couple weeks leading up to the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
kdburton, I'm using the same approach. I have barely touched FA so far. I do plan to use it a lot in the last week or so, but I think almost all of the information in it is also in the other review books, and those are better to go through the first time. I agree that you'd be in trouble if you were unfamiliar with a lot of the info in FA, but if you read RR Path (for example) it's going to cover all the path in FA and more.

FA seems useful as a checklist like you said, and I think it's a good resource for stuff I keep forgetting, but I don't find it useful as a learning tool.

some people seem to prefer Stepup to FA (better flow, more explainations; everything grouped by systems).

I had a friend, now graduating and going to great program, who absolutely hated first aid. She couldn't learn from it because of the style of the book. Used Kaplan and did well. I like First Aid because everything is condensed into one book. She had several books. To each their own I guess.