Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMEDM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've just transferred from a community college into a university to finish my pre med. I'm an honors student, got in with a scholarship and all... but my first semester at the University sucked... I ended up with 2 Ds... One was a medical level class, and the other a upper division PSIO, needless to say that I'm planning on retaking those classes to better up my GPA... I've never received anything lower than a B... I actually hardly had Bs... Do you guys have some study techniques to share? I thought my studying was fine, but apparently it's not good enough.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've just transferred from a community college into a university to finish my pre med. I'm an honors student, got in with a scholarship and all... but my first semester at the University sucked... I ended up with 2 Ds... One was a medical level class, and the other a upper division PSIO, needless to say that I'm planning on retaking those classes to better up my GPA... I've never received anything lower than a B... I actually hardly had Bs... Do you guys have some study techniques to share? I thought my studying was fine, but apparently it's not good enough.

Before I address your question, what is a "medical level class"?

The best way to help is for me to find out more about how you study for your courses at the moment. First, though, don't answer these questions until after your finals are taken and the semester is over.

Allow me to ask some clarifying questions to try to help:

(1) How are you studying (i.e., what are your methods used, right before a test for a day vs. spacing it out over several days, studying continuously vs. studying only for tests, doing practice problems vs. not doing problems, outlines vs. note cards for memorization, content review before exams)?

(2) How much do you study? [Studying too little can be part of the problem.]

(3) Are there particular areas of courses with which you struggle (e.g., reading the chapters, paying attention in lecture, doing the problems in the textbook or that were assigned, understanding concepts, forgetting details)?

Edit: typo.

Reactions: 1 user
It's natural that you struggled. The transition can be rough so definitely change yor study habits. One that I find effective is to study for each lecture right after class if time permits. Try to digest the material on the day you are taught.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I'll let you know once finals ends. Thank you a lot for trying to help me!

The best way to help is for me to find out more about how you study for your courses at the moment. First, though, don't answer these questions until after your finals are taken and the semester is over.

(1) How are you studying (i.e., what are your methods used, right before a test for a day vs. spacing it out over several days, studying continuously vs. studying only for tests, doing practice problems vs. not doing problems, outlines vs. note cards for memorization, content review before exams)?

(3) Are there particular areas of courses with which you struggle (e.g., reading the chapters, paying attention in lecture, doing the problems in the textbook or that were assigned, understanding concepts, forgetting details)?

As soon as finals end I'll let you know! Thanks again

Practice problems. Try and get old tests or quizzes if they are available. Best way to study for classes, as well as the MCAT, is practicing with the types of questions you might see on test day.

Hello, Sorry i took a while to answer you, but now i've got the time :)

(1) I actually have to read the book and takes notes on it. I study on the week that I have that specific class. But i take forever to read the whole chapter, understand it and take notes on it. Apparently if i don't write it down i won't understand… During test week (specially on finals) I get so nervous that I just don't study. I'll look over a couple of notes, but not all of it. But the only thing I actually do is take notes out of my reading.

(2) I'm not really sure how much I study. From that point of view I'm guessing not much. I really don't even know how to. I just take notes, make sure I understand, but I don't really think I review them. The fact of just reading it back it makes me wanna take notes from my notes… Just reading it won't really help me much, it won't stick.

(3) My struggles are with memorizing, I feel like I don't learn if I memorize it, so I take forever to try to understand what the book is saying (instead of memorizing), I take notes on top of notes, but sometimes the concept is not really clear, I feel like I can't get a strong grasp of the concept, but only superficially. Apparently I don't really know how to get a concrete understanding of the concept given. As memorizing goes, i guess i do it a little bit, from the fact that i understand "superficially". I can only make sense if it's the way the information has been given, but if a little part of the information changes, I won't be able to make sense of it.
(Ex. The liver handle the nutrients that have been absorbed by the gut from food, removes toxins from the blood, etc… but if they ask me something like: 'What if hepatomegaly happens, what happens to the liver?'…. I would understand what it does, but i won't have a concrete understanding of how the liver accomplishes what it does. Does this example makes sense?")

Thank you for your help!

Hello, Sorry i took a while to answer you, but now i've got the time :)

(1) I actually have to read the book and takes notes on it. I study on the week that I have that specific class. But i take forever to read the whole chapter, understand it and take notes on it. Apparently if i don't write it down i won't understand… During test week (specially on finals) I get so nervous that I just don't study. I'll look over a couple of notes, but not all of it. But the only thing I actually do is take notes out of my reading.

(2) I'm not really sure how much I study. From that point of view I'm guessing not much. I really don't even know how to. I just take notes, make sure I understand, but I don't really think I review them. The fact of just reading it back it makes me wanna take notes from my notes… Just reading it won't really help me much, it won't stick.

(3) My struggles are with memorizing, I feel like I don't learn if I memorize it, so I take forever to try to understand what the book is saying (instead of memorizing), I take notes on top of notes, but sometimes the concept is not really clear, I feel like I can't get a strong grasp of the concept, but only superficially. Apparently I don't really know how to get a concrete understanding of the concept given. As memorizing goes, i guess i do it a little bit, from the fact that i understand "superficially". I can only make sense if it's the way the information has been given, but if a little part of the information changes, I won't be able to make sense of it.
(Ex. The liver handle the nutrients that have been absorbed by the gut from food, removes toxins from the blood, etc… but if they ask me something like: 'What if hepatomegaly happens, what happens to the liver?'…. I would understand what it does, but i won't have a concrete understanding of how the liver accomplishes what it does. Does this example makes sense?")

Thank you for your help!

First of all, how did finals go? Better than the semester before?

First of all, how did finals go? Better than the semester before?
I have sent you a conversation. Sorry but Im new to the SDN, thus I'm just learning how to use this blog. I hope I sent the conversation through the right way. Have you received it?

I have sent you a conversation. Sorry but Im new to the SDN, thus I'm just learning how to use this blog. I hope I sent the conversation through the right way. Have you received it?

Yup, received.

First recommendation: don't worry about the length of time it takes to read the chapter. I read quickly (or I try to) -- not necessarily for comprehension. After I read it, I make an outline - incorporating things from lecture that were emphasized. "I get so nervous that I just don't study." -- This part won't do. You should probably see a therapist/counselor at your school's health services office. Text anxiety is real. Not being able to focus under pressure will make everything more difficult.

One of the best way to study is to do practice problems. Maybe you're focusing too much on taking notes and reading.

(3) My struggles are with memorizing, I feel like I don't learn if I memorize it, so I take forever to try to understand what the book is saying (instead of memorizing), I take notes on top of notes, but sometimes the concept is not really clear, I feel like I can't get a strong grasp of the concept, but only superficially. Apparently I don't really know how to get a concrete understanding of the concept given. As memorizing goes, i guess i do it a little bit, from the fact that i understand "superficially". I can only make sense if it's the way the information has been given, but if a little part of the information changes, I won't be able to make sense of it. (Ex. The liver handle the nutrients that have been absorbed by the gut from food, removes toxins from the blood, etc… but if they ask me something like: 'What if hepatomegaly happens, what happens to the liver?'…. I would understand what it does, but i won't have a concrete understanding of how the liver accomplishes what it does. Does this example makes sense?")

Memorizing is part of learning, but it's not the whole kit and caboodle. I think, at least in part, your problem could be addressed by doing more practice problems. You haven't mentioned practice problems as part of your routine. I have a hard time imagining planning to run a marathon without running daily for months and months beforehand. Learning is similar: you have to practice applying what you have "learned" so far (i.e., what you have picked up from the textbook, in lecture, from writing notes about the text/lecture) by doing practice problems to prepare for your "marathon" (i.e., the exam).

I don't quite understand your example about the liver and hepatomegaly -- perhaps you could rephrase?

First recommendation: don't worry about the length of time it takes to read the chapter. I read quickly (or I try to) -- not necessarily for comprehension. After I read it, I make an outline - incorporating things from lecture that were emphasized. "I get so nervous that I just don't study." -- This part won't do. You should probably see a therapist/counselor at your school's health services office. Text anxiety is real. Not being able to focus under pressure will make everything more difficult.

One of the best way to study is to do practice problems. Maybe you're focusing too much on taking notes and reading.

Memorizing is part of learning, but it's not the whole kit and caboodle. I think, at least in part, your problem could be addressed by doing more practice problems. You haven't mentioned practice problems as part of your routine. I have a hard time imagining planning to run a marathon without running daily for months and months beforehand. Learning is similar: you have to practice applying what you have "learned" so far (i.e., what you have picked up from the textbook, in lecture, from writing notes about the text/lecture) by doing practice problems to prepare for your "marathon" (i.e., the exam).

I don't quite understand your example about the liver and hepatomegaly -- perhaps you could rephrase?

Ok, let me think of a easier example.
So i know that if i drive my car, and push the engine pedal, the car will run, but i don't understand why is it that when i push the pedal the car runs. I don't understand the consequences of pushing the pedal. Makes sense?

And where do you get practice problems? Do you mean like the questions at the end of the chapter?

Do you mean like the questions at the end of the chapter?

Yes.

Edit: And additional sources (e.g., sometimes the professor gives out problems) as available. Also, redoing old (relevant) quizzes and tests.

Yes.

Edit: And additional sources (e.g., sometimes the professor gives out problems) as available. Also, redoing old (relevant) quizzes and tests.
I'll try those new techniques now with my summer classes. Thanks for the help!

I'll try those new techniques now with my summer classes. Thanks for the help!

Definitely, I also recommend following up with the tutoring services available at your school. They'll be able to give more focused help on the difficulties you're having with your coursework.

Have a good summer. :smuggrin: