stupid ERAS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikachu

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else filling out the CAF and finding out that their CV format looks like total crap (and frustrated after putting in time to make the CV look nice)? Is there any way to make it look better?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a GREAT CV that I spent a few weeks polishing (thought you could just upload it directly) and my ERAS CV looks like complete CRAP! I *H*A*T*E* it!!!

I think it makes sense that they'll all have the same layout. At this stage, it should be about content, not how pretty the CV looks.

I agree with you in terms of a uniform format but I'm still trying to figure out how tokeepeverythingfromrunningtogetherlikethis (which is how it looks now)

I added HTML tags to give a "bullet point" effect to my CV. For example, instead of:

1/02 - 1/03
Shmucks 'R Us
Clerk
Served as Head Shmuck for 1 year. Taught basic shmucking to other employees. Ran cash register.

It now says:

1/02 - 1/03
Shmucks 'R Us
Clerk
-- Served as Head Shmuck for 1 year
-- Taught basic shmucking to other employees
-- Ran cash register

Of course, I'm not sure whether the residency programs just print the CV off the web as shown, or if they get some other format which may expose my tags.

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know whether they will see the tags or not?

I think they just get a text version. They use a program to download the data - they don't look at it over the web.

C

Also, they don't care how fancy it looks. It's actually helpful to them that they all look the same: plain. Easier to mine the info out.

C

buddyboy05 said:
Of course, I'm not sure whether the residency programs just print the CV off the web as shown, or if they get some other format which may expose my tags.

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know whether they will see the tags or not?

BTW, regarding the HTML, from their "MyERAS Tips":

TRY NOT TO WRITE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS LIKE THIS. Programs prefer to receive your Application, Profile, and Personal Statements with standard capitalization. (Capital letters only at the begining of sentences and for proper nouns).

Do not use HTML tags anywhere in your Application, in My Profile, on the CAF, in a Personal Statement! Programs will not see the lovely formatting you worked on, they will see the actual tags, and the document will be very hard for them to read.

If you use a HOTMAIL or YAHOO mail account, check your JunkMail folder for important mail that may have been routed there! Both may sometimes flag email as junkmail, even if it is important to you! Since the Message Center is sometimes unavailable, check all Junkmail settings today!