Stupid GRE question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thomphea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I register for the gre. Does it matter if I register for the computer or paper based test? I know to register for general gre, but not sure if computer or paper based is better, or if it even matters at all.
I feel stupid asking, but I haven't had anyone go over that before. I'd like to register asap.:scared:
Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad.

you should register for computer...the paper is only given for special circumstances as I understood it and computer was for the majority of test-takers.

And there is a difference, the computer test is adaptive meaning the questions are dependent on if you got the previous questions right/wrong.

Perfect! Thank you for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
take it before july!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they're going to change the format, and the new test supposedly sucks balls

they're going to change the format, and the new test supposedly sucks balls
Plus it sounds like some schools (was it Cornell that somebody posted about in another thread?) are *not* going to take the new format test for the '07 application cycle (i.e. class of '12). So you *have* to take the test by July if you want to apply this October!

Plus it sounds like some schools (was it Cornell that somebody posted about in another thread?) are *not* going to take the new format test for the '07 application cycle (i.e. class of '12). So you *have* to take the test by July if you want to apply this October!

I believe Wisconsin is not accepting the new format either? I know they tightened the deadline for next year's applicants to take it...

Figure it this way: none of the schools (hah! will anyone??) will have a gauge of the new GRE.

Not to worry anyone, but with the GRE changing, I wouldn't be surprised if the schools shift to wanting the MCAT, since it's "tried and true" as far as being a test that's been 'out' and about for a long time. That is just my PERSONAL gut curiosity and nothing more. I haven't heard any rumors, whispers or any factual evidence to actually back up my thought. :spam:

NCSU definitely will not accept the new format for this fall, so if you are applying there, you must take the GRE prior to the end of July. I saw this in another thread.

CookieBear,

Funny you mention that - I just had a discussion about that with my mom this afternoon. Then again, they killed the VCAT a few years ago, so maybe they like the "vagueness" of the GRE. Thankfully, it won't apply to me :D

CookieBear,
Then again, they killed the VCAT a few years ago,

Totally out of curiosity--does anyone actually know why they did this? Being that vet school is really competitive and all, wouldn't they want a test that gives a decent range of scores, unlike the GRE, where more people are likely to do better?

Driving to work today, I started thinking about this again, and how I had been contemplating the potential of schools to require the MCAT.

Perhaps it won't happen, since the majority of schools do not require calculus, nor calculus-based physics. And we know there's calculus on the MCAT (so I understand).

On one hand, I could see U.S. vet schools wanting to move in the direction of making it harder to apply (requiring the MCAT, let's say) since it sounds like they are receiving record number - or higher numbers - of applicants. "Thin the herd" mentality, maybe.

But, there's also all this buzz in the field about shortage of vets, especially rural, large animal and food animal. And you can find articles where ADCOM folks are quoted as saying that they are shifting their focus and trying to admit people with varied talents, broad experience, etc. etc. Requiring the MCAT, in my opinion, might be counter-productive to that idea.

Ultimately I guess we won't know until time moves forward. But with the GRE changing drastically, I wouldn't be surprised if the schools do use that as an opportunity to demand the MCAT.

Quite luckily this will not be a problem for me now :)love: KSU) but it sure would be on my mind if I hadn't done the GRE yet and was planning on applying next cycle. :(

Maybe they'll just 'up' the GRE deadline this year, and status-quo (GRE) will continue in the future.

Lord knows I wouldn't wish the MCAT on anyone... except maybe my most loathsome enemy? :smuggrin:

Totally out of curiosity--does anyone actually know why they did this? Being that vet school is really competitive and all, wouldn't they want a test that gives a decent range of scores, unlike the GRE, where more people are likely to do better?

After googling it for a while, all I could find out was that it was discontinued in April 2003, and it wasn't at the request of any of the vet schools. My best guess was that it wasn't making any money. They had to make a whole new test, have testing dates and locations all over the country, and hire people to grade it, and for what...less than 5000 applicants in the entire country at the time? And some of those had probably already taken it and were reapplying with their old VCAT score. It just doesn't seem that it would be worth it.

But I'm definitely glad I did not have to take it.

Not to worry anyone, but with the GRE changing, I wouldn't be surprised if the schools shift to wanting the MCAT, since it's "tried and true" as far as being a test that's been 'out' and about for a long time.
Eh... They didn't mind the new analytical format ("back in my day" the analytical section was fun little multiple-choice logic puzzles). Or the adaptive scoring of the computer-based test (again back in my day, paper was the only option). I dunno how many of you did the experimental section when you took the GRE this past year, but it wasn't like the questions were out-of-this-world different. You got a little calculator to do math problems, but had to fill in the blanks rather than choose from multiple choice. There were also problems where you got a list of numbers or terms and had to select the correct blanks for all of them, rather than just choosing one answer. But really, it was still pretty much the same test. My guess is, since this is the first year for the new test, vet schools just don't want to commit to accepting both versions for the same year. Just like most schools now require that you've taken the written analytical section (even if you took the multi-choice version less than 5 years ago) I think they'll just switch over to requiring the new test in the next year or two. Maybe give a year of accepting either one just to be nice and save reapplicants the $130. But I don't think it's such a drastic change that they're going to abandon the GRE in protest or anything.

I agree with kate_g. The questions weren't all that different, I think if anything they will provide for more of a score differentiation and allow for a little less luck. It wasn't too long ago that the vet schools could have people that had taken the new GRE, old GRE, VCAT or MCAT and having to compare those scores. The whole purpose of the experimental sections are to normalize the tests, so I don't think it will be that hard of a switch.

I think most if not all schools moved the deadline for taking the GRE up to before the format changes. If you think about it, it makes sense- not that the new format won't be as good of a test, but it would be hard to compare applicants who have two different formats of a test, which weigh the test components differently. I wouldn't be surprised if the application in 2008 requires that all people take the new format even if you have already taken the old one.