Stupid interview clothes question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, one of my friends told me that you don't have to wear the suit around all day and that they give you time to change into your suit before interviews. Is this true? I was kind of guessing you are supposed to wear your suit all day through the tours, lunch, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

okayplayer said:
Okay, one of my friends told me that you don't have to wear the suit around all day and that they give you time to change into your suit before interviews. Is this true? I was kind of guessing you are supposed to wear your suit all day through the tours, lunch, etc.

I'd wear the suit. all day all night if necessary. better safe than sorry

Show up in the suit and leave in the suit. You should wear it all day.

Members don't see this ad :)
This might be a stupid question too... but do you have to wear the jacket all day?
Should it be buttoned the whole time? Or is unbuttoned ok too? Is that unprofessional?
What if its really hot/humid?

SeattlePostBach said:
This might be a stupid question too... but do you have to wear the jacket all day?
Should it be buttoned the whole time? Or is unbuttoned ok too? Is that unprofessional?

Wear the jacket all day long. It doesn't have to be buttoned the entire time though. I don't think it will be really hot/humid in most areas during the interview season. If it is, then it's tough luck I guess - you can't just show up in a wifebeater and jean shorts because of the weather.

i plan on wearing it all day, but am definitely changing at the airport. there's no way i'm riding home on a Chicago subway late at night, dressed in a suit.

SeattlePostBach said:

oops duplicate post - the server kept messing up.

Generally, button when you're standing, unbutton when sitting. For women, usually just keep it buttoned. But use your interviewer as a guide in all situations. If he/she removes his/her jacket or invites you to do so, then it's fine. In general, you'll be concentrating on the interview and probably not paying attention so just keep the jacket buttoned so you don't absentmindedly fidget with it.

Are suits a must? Can it be a shirt(unbuttoned at top and no tie) then a nice sports coat + slacks?

I mean, how profession would a suit be versus a non suit. I work a few doctors and most they'd wear is a shirt w/ slacks and dress shoes. no tie.

AxlxA said:
Are suits a must? Can it be a shirt(unbuttoned at top and no tie) then a nice sports coat + slacks?

I would say no to this. That is the type of outfit you wear to Sunday school in kindergarten.

AxlxA said:

I mean, how profession would a suit be versus a non suit. I work a few doctors and most they'd wear is a shirt w/ slacks and dress shoes. no tie.

I see this as a matter of risk/reward. How much payoff is there for you (in terms of comfort, affordability, etc) if you wear a sport coat, slacks and no tie vs. the risk associated with possibly being underdressed. Based on this reasoning, I'm going with suits.

You need to wear a suit.

Today was yet another interview day at our school. As usual, it looked like a funeral procession, as it should. I think the ladies have an opportunity to leave a lasting impression if they don't wear the compulsory black skirt suit. The only interviewee I remember seeing was the girl in the taupe suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
VPDcurt said:
Wear the jacket all day long. It doesn't have to be buttoned the entire time though. I don't think it will be really hot/humid in most areas during the interview season. If it is, then it's tough luck I guess - you can't just show up in a wifebeater and jean shorts because of the weather.

Houston, TX in a couple of weeks? Might be hot... But hopefully air conditioned inside.

AxlxA said:

If only. I think there is no way you can get around wearing a suit to an interview. Unless you want to totally bomb it.

As for standout suits- the interview, job or otherwise, has a standard things you're supposed to wear. Interviews look like funerals yes, and you wouldnt want to wear something strange to either one.

SeattlePostBach said:

I interviewed in Galveston two weeks ago and during the 1.5 hour walking tour, I took off the jacket because the heat and humidity were unbearable. (Our student tour guide was wearing a polo shirt and slacks). After I took mine off, many of the other interviewees did too, so I didn't feel too bad. I don't think it was a big deal, but Galveston may be a bit more relaxed than other schools.

So who decided that a dark suit is the only acceptable outfit for an interview? Could it really hurt your interview that much if you just wear nice shoes, slacks, shirt, and tie? Has any school just come out and said explicitly, "If you are a man, you are expected to wear a dark suit for your interview. Period. If you don't, we will assume that you are socially tone-deaf and/or you don't take this process seriously and you will be penalized."

I am curious to know who said that.
"If you are a man, you are expected to wear a dark suit for your interview. Period. If you don't, we will assume that you are socially tone-deaf and/or you don't take this process seriously and you will be penalized."
But I think Dark color looks more decent and professional than any other. Black and dark colors go with the upcoming snow, does anyone think that?

I interviewed at UB a couple weeks ago and one interviewer talked with me outside. It was brutal outside and I just asked if he minded if I take off my coat and he said of course not. He wasn't even wearing a coat if that makes a difference. I think if you're in a situation where you are going to be extremely uncomfortable just take the coat off. Don't let something like baking in a wool suit affect your composer.

Professional dress is a suit. Period. You are going to be a doctor and there will be many events you will have to go to wearing a suit or even gasp a tuxedo. Get over it now. We are grown ups.

humuhumu said:
So who decided that a dark suit is the only acceptable outfit for an interview? Could it really hurt your interview that much if you just wear nice shoes, slacks, shirt, and tie? Has any school just come out and said explicitly, "If you are a man, you are expected to wear a dark suit for your interview. Period. If you don't, we will assume that you are socially tone-deaf and/or you don't take this process seriously and you will be penalized."

Could it hurt your chances to be the only applicant wearing a less formal outfit?

*sings* "One of these things is not like the others!"

SeattlePostBach said:
Houston, TX in a couple of weeks? Might be hot... But hopefully air conditioned inside.

I wore a suit to San Antonio interview in August. It was hot, but I would have sat in a sauna in that suit if I thought it would help.

BrettBatchelor said:
Professional dress is a suit. Period. You are going to be a doctor and there will be many events you will have to go to wearing a suit or even gasp a tuxedo. Get over it now. We are grown ups.

Are you going to wear a bow tie? ;)

It's possible although wearing a bowtie has a somewhat negative connotation. It is often only thought to be worn by scholarlies and clowns so I dunno.

VPDcurt said:
you can't just show up in a wifebeater and jean shorts because of the weather.

Great, you've ruined my interview outfit. Thanks a lot! :p

BrettBatchelor said:
It's possible although wearing a bowtie has a somewhat negative connotation. It is often only thought to be worn by scholarlies and clowns so I dunno.

I know a neurologist who wears a bow tie. It's part of his identity; it's hard for me to imagine him without it.

humuhumu said:
I know a neurologist who wears a bow tie. It's part of his identity; it's hard for me to imagine him without it.

hey me too, does he practice in philly by chance? :)

humuhumu said:
See, he is a scholar. I think some would view the bowtie on a student as disrespectful since they are not full blown MDs or PhDs.

god, any bow tie humor cracks me up everytime.

suit all day, yes..guys wear a suit! no pseudo dressy outfits involving sports coats, blazers, whatever! :)

Ok I have 2 interviews soon and i am DEFINATELY wearing a dark grey suit.

HOWEVER, should i wear a white shirt, or maybe light blue or striped? All nice dress ones ofcoarse.

Also, what do you guys think, cufflinks(not flashy ones) or not? too dressed up or ok?

Last, about the tie, loud(not too loud obviously) or more traditional?

I think a plain white shirt, no cufflinks, and a traditional tie would look fine. However, do you guys think extras will impress or piss off?

I vote yes on cufflinks. I think they look very nice. White shirt or light blue or striped, any would be fine. Just be sure to coordinate your tie with your shirt. I just went 3rd and 4th yr clothes shopping w/ an ex so if you have any questions, PM me, I feel like the expert of picking coordinating shirts and ties at this point. :)

As for tie..A bold, striped one or something would be fine, not sure what you mean with loud versus traditional. I would steer clear of ones w/ cartoon themes or your university logo or something. :)

crys20 said:
I would steer clear of ones w/ cartoon themes or your university logo or something. :)

:laugh: Try a fish tie

like somebody else stated before, go with the best examples out there.

presidential elections. they are interviewed in front of the entire nation. see what they wear and gauge yourself.

Presidential elections???
Anyways, most in the real world would wear tradiotional. Dark suit, light shirt, plain tie.

By loud, i mean like bright yellow, or orange, something that would impress most people, but i dont think its good for interview.

Cufflinks. You really think so, it doesnt look to "showoff", i mean you can get cufflinks for like 50 bucks but its the image.

BrettBatchelor said:
See, he is a scholar. I think some would view the bowtie on a student as disrespectful since they are not full blown MDs or PhDs.

In an interview, I would stay away from bow-ties, as they have an unfortunately nerdy ("poindexter") connotation. In terms of practice, in some specialties however they are a necessity, as you don't really want your necktie hanging down into certain parts of people's anatomy when you examine them. (Esp. GI and OB/GYN)
As for cufflinks, I'm sure they are fine if not too glitzy/sparkly (and not dollar signs or something of that ilk), but none of the med school interviewees I have seen ever wore them.

Law2Doc said:
In an interview, I would stay away from bow-ties, as they have an unfortunately nerdy ("poindexter") connotation. In terms of practice, in some specialties however they are a necessity, as you don't really want your necktie hanging down into certain parts of people's anatomy when you examine them. (Esp. GI and OB/GYN)
As for cufflinks, I'm sure they are fine if not too glitzy/sparkly (and not dollar signs or something of that ilk), but none of the med school interviewees I have seen ever wore them.

Gosh I wish that someone would have worn a bow tie to my interview! I could have used the laugh!! My interviewer was wearing a collared shirt, top 2 buttons undone, khakis and super hot brown leather shoes. I thought he was a student at first, but he was an anesthesiologist. I didn't mind being dressed up, but his apparel set me at ease.
It was the first day of interviewing at the school I was at, and some people made comments about there being more black suits than at a funeral when there are interviews, but you could tell it was expected.
Be yourself, but dress nicely. I was kinda happy that I was the only one in brown.

Glasses? make you look more intellectual and smarter.

Lenses? make you look better.

Also glasses show a disability in your vision. I know alotof peopple have them, but without glasses you look more "healthier" kind of.

Any1?

IMPORTANT QUESTION:
How do you guys carry a freshly pressed suit on a plane. I called and the airline said to fold the suit bag in half and put in top caninets. Jetblue has no hanging closet on board. Anyone have nay ideas, b/c i think it will get wrinkled.

KnishTix said:

Also glasses show a disability in your vision. I know alotof peopple have them, but without glasses you look more "healthier" kind of.

Any1?

Really big ugly glasses with Coke-bottle lenses may be a liability, but otherwise I can't imagine that anyone would "ding" you for wearing glasses.

KnishTix said:

Any1?

IMPORTANT QUESTION:
How do you guys carry a freshly pressed suit on a plane. I called and the airline said to fold the suit bag in half and put in top caninets. Jetblue has no hanging closet on board. Anyone have nay ideas, b/c i think it will get wrinkled.

Pack a traveling clothes steamer or hang it in your bathroom while you take a hot shower. Iron the shirt.

scneuro said:
hey me too, does he practice in philly by chance? :)

Nope, different guy.

I heard of hanging in bathroom while taking a shower thing, does it really work, b/c i know when wool gets wet it smells, but maybe steam is different. Anyways i AM packing an iron just in case.

Thanks for all the replies.

About glasses, ANY glasses make look less-than perfect. OPbviously they wont ding me for it but i really wont to make a great first impression.

KnishTix said:
I heard of hanging in bathroom while taking a shower thing, does it really work, b/c i know when wool gets wet it smells, but maybe steam is different. Anyways i AM packing an iron just in case.

Thanks for all the replies.

About glasses, ANY glasses make look less-than perfect. OPbviously they wont ding me for it but i really wont to make a great first impression.

It helps. It won't fix deeply set wrinkles.

Ladies,

Can you iron triacetate??? Specifically, an Ann Taylor suit?

unfrozencaveman said:
If only. I think there is no way you can get around wearing a suit to an interview. Unless you want to totally bomb it.

As for standout suits- the interview, job or otherwise, has a standard things you're supposed to wear. Interviews look like funerals yes, and you wouldnt want to wear something strange to either one.

I have known people who did not wear suits to their interviews. My best friend did not wear a suit. She dressed nicely, but saw no reason to purchase a suit that she would probably never wear again just for a handful of interviews (she was also out of the country the year she applied). She was accepted to many top-notch schools, and chose to go to Yale.

Now, I'm not saying that I advocate not wearing a suit. Personally, I would feel extremely uncomfortable, out of place, and self-conscious if I were the only one in an interview group not wearing a suit. Thus, I would probably not perform well. This is probably true of many of you also. In terms of interviewers' reactions, some of my best friend's interviewers hated the fact that she wasn't wearing a suit; they thought she wasn't taking the interview seriously. An equal number, though, really liked the fact that she wasn't wearing a suit, and this made her stand out in their minds. That's the thing with being different: some will perceive the difference as bad, and others will perceive it as being good.

evade said:
... That's the thing with being different: some will perceive the difference as bad, and others will perceive it as being good.
So you are saying that a guy could do well wearing a sport jacket or a girl with a short skirt? :confused:

While guys should be wearing ties and should keep their shirts buttoned all the way up, what about ladies? Because I'm looking at suits right now and was thinking of purchasing a shirt that doesn't even allow the option of buttoning up to the collar (something like this:
http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=5038&pid=325585&scid=325585022 )

Should I ditch that shirt and go for a traditional oxford button-up?

I went through the application process last year (now a first year at Keck) and came back to peruse the forum. Some of you have asked about wearing French cuff shirts. It's alright, I wore one to every single interview I had. Furthermore, some of you have mentioned black suits. There are only two acceptable uses of the black suit (and that is debatable), and only one is professional. The first is funerals (debatable), and the only instance in which a black suit is professional is if you are a chauffeur. Black is really meant to be reserved for evening formal wear (black tie and white tie).

With regard to choices of ties, I think something "loud" but conservative (yellow, orange, or purple) will serve you best. Wearing one of these ties displays tremendous confidence, which in my opinion is the single most important trait you can display in an interview.

Best of luck to you all.

is a gray men's suit ok to wear, or is it too different?

I am wearing a dark grey with very subtle blue, wide boxes. I think its hot, cause like the dude said earlier, black is plain and funeral like, and lighter colors are just too "vacation type". Stick with grey, medium to dark, not light.