• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

samtheman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
The work done by an external force to move a -8.5 uC charge from point a to point B is 15*10^-4 J.
If the charge was started from rest and had 4.82 *10^-4 J of kinetic energy when it reached point b, what must be the potential difference between a and b?

drdan766

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
QV = Work = 0.0015 Joules
Q = 0.0000085 Coulombs

One way to look at Voltage:

Voltage is the work done per unit charge.

V = 176.4706 = 180 Volts

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
OK, without thinking too much about it, here's my guess:
V=U/q
U= 15*10^-4 J + 4.82 *10^-4 J
q= 8.5 x 10^-6C

So, V=15x10^-4J + 4.82x10^-4J / 8.5 x 10^-6C
= 233.2 Volts

What do you think?

About the Ads

physicsnerd42

15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
This is not a homework board.

Yeah, I agree with you. I honestly think that homework threads should be immediately closed for 3 reasons: 1) This isn't a homework board. 2) Some classes actually collect/grade homework and getting a bunch of people on the internet to do homework for you that will be graded is cheating and unethical. 3) The best way to learn material (especially in physics) isn't to have someone give you the answer. It's best for people to encourage you think about problems in different ways without spoon-feeding you the answer.

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
Yeah, I agree with you. I honestly think that homework threads should be immediately closed for 3 reasons: 1) This isn't a homework board. 2) Some classes actually collect/grade homework and getting a bunch of people on the internet to do homework for you that will be graded is cheating and unethical. 3) The best way to learn material (especially in physics) isn't to have someone give you the answer. It's best for people to encourage you think about problems in different ways without spoon-feeding you the answer.

We could do number 3 and help a lot of people in the meantime, including those who've completed all the pre-reqs and are gearing up for the MCAT. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with homework questions as long as people don't give the poster the answer, but just lead them in the right direction by explaining the concept to them. I think it helps everyone. See my thread "dear moderator" for more.

ocwaveoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Well, do you think my answer is correct? I'm curious what others think.

MinnyGophers

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
We could do number 3 and help a lot of people in the meantime, including those who've completed all the pre-reqs and are gearing up for the MCAT. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with homework questions as long as people don't give the poster the answer, but just lead them in the right direction by explaining the concept to them. I think it helps everyone. See my thread "dear moderator" for more.

I absolutely agree.
Many homework threads have been closed down, and for good reasons. If everyone were to ask hw questions, this board would become chaotic.
Explaining concepts is fine (go MCAT board) but specific questions should not be allowed.

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Minny hit it on the head. Closing. Good luck to the OP

About the Ads
Status