Stupid question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotties123

GrandMacDaddy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can we use calculators on the mcat? i know theres tricks to predicting things like pH and logs and stuff like that, but some physics questions seem impossible to calculate without a calculator.

Members don't see this ad.

can we use calculators on the mcat? i know theres tricks to predicting things like pH and logs and stuff like that, but some physics questions seem impossible to calculate without a calculator.

no. Also, like EK says, to paraphrase, if you're spending more than 2 minutes or so on any one problem in the physical science, it's likely you're missing something or making things harder than they appear to be.

no. Also, like EK says, to paraphrase, if you're spending more than 2 minutes or so on any one problem in the physical science, it's likely you're missing something or making things harder than they appear to be.
thanks, but for example: ka = 4.3x10^-7, and u gotta find kb then use that to find pH. how wud u do this type of math without a calcultor?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, but for example: ka = 4.3x10^-7, and u gotta find kb then use that to find pH. how wud u do this type of math without a calcultor?

You can round the number and then do the math...like round to 4x10^-7 because the answer you get will be close to the correct answer

is this is a polyprotic acid? In any event, I'd round 4.3 to 4, then say kw=ka*kb, then deal with an easy fraction (1/4th) or .25e-7 = kb. Then use kb to find OH concentration, assuming this is the typical kb=x^2 type problem, I'd prob convert .25e-7 to 2.5e-8 then take the square root of that and know that sq.root of e-8 is e-4 and I know that sq.root of 4 is 2 and sq.root of 1 is 1, so sq.root of 2 has to be between those to, so I'd guess its between that and I'd estimate it's around 1.5e-2 = OH concentration.

From that, pOH=-log OH, approximate this as being something slightly less than 2 and then use ph+poh=14 and get ph around 10. Something like that. This type of problem could be solved in under 2 minutes if you round and are good with estimations. In any event, I don't think I've seen any types of problems this drawn out. Is this a kaplan question? :laugh:

is this is a polyprotic acid? In any event, I'd round 4.3 to 4, then say kw=ka*kb, then deal with an easy fraction (1/4th) or .25e-7 = kb. Then use kb to find OH concentration, assuming this is the typical kb=x^2 type problem, I'd prob convert .25e-7 to 2.5e-8 then take the square root of that and know that sq.root of e-8 is e-4 and I know that sq.root of 4 is 2 and sq.root of 1 is 1, so sq.root of 2 has to be between those to, so I'd guess its between that and I'd estimate it's around 1.5e-2 = OH concentration.

From that, pOH=-log OH, approximate this as being something slightly less than 2 and then use ph+poh=14 and get ph around 10. Something like that. This type of problem could be solved in under 2 minutes if you round and are good with estimations. In any event, I don't think I've seen any types of problems this drawn out. Is this a kaplan question? :laugh:

thanks for the help, my problem was not realizing to right them as fractions using 1x10^-14 and not just 10^-14. and its exam krackers