Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Stupid question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by scotties123, May 16, 2007.

1. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy

Medical Student
    can we use calculators on the mcat? i know theres tricks to predicting things like pH and logs and stuff like that, but some physics questions seem impossible to calculate without a calculator.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. fisko82

no. Also, like EK says, to paraphrase, if you're spending more than 2 minutes or so on any one problem in the physical science, it's likely you're missing something or making things harder than they appear to be.

4. scotties123

Medical Student
    thanks, but for example: ka = 4.3x10^-7, and u gotta find kb then use that to find pH. how wud u do this type of math without a calcultor?

5. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Intense calculations are rare on the MCAT. The saying goes "If you're doing rigorous calculations, you're probably doing the problem wrong"

6. swim2006

swim2006 Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can round the number and then do the math...like round to 4x10^-7 because the answer you get will be close to the correct answer

7. fisko82

is this is a polyprotic acid? In any event, I'd round 4.3 to 4, then say kw=ka*kb, then deal with an easy fraction (1/4th) or .25e-7 = kb. Then use kb to find OH concentration, assuming this is the typical kb=x^2 type problem, I'd prob convert .25e-7 to 2.5e-8 then take the square root of that and know that sq.root of e-8 is e-4 and I know that sq.root of 4 is 2 and sq.root of 1 is 1, so sq.root of 2 has to be between those to, so I'd guess its between that and I'd estimate it's around 1.5e-2 = OH concentration.

From that, pOH=-log OH, approximate this as being something slightly less than 2 and then use ph+poh=14 and get ph around 10. Something like that. This type of problem could be solved in under 2 minutes if you round and are good with estimations. In any event, I don't think I've seen any types of problems this drawn out. Is this a kaplan question? :laugh:

8. scotties123

Medical Student
    thanks for the help, my problem was not realizing to right them as fractions using 1x10^-14 and not just 10^-14. and its exam krackers