stutter/rural born---disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bumbl3b33

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to search for this, but was not successful. I apologize if this question sounds petty; I really didn't think about it until I saw a different thread asking if their situation was considered disadvantaged. So, here's my thing (I'll be brief):

1) I was born in India, I literally had no clothes the first 2 years of my life save a cloth diaper and a black thread chain around my neck--my parents both grew up in mud huts--literally-- and I was living in that house with my grandparents until I was 5. My grandparents have a small mango orchard/wheat farm. No question in my mind that growing up I was poor (until age of 8, when we came to US). Now, my dad earns 120k pre-tax compensation package (crossed 6 figs when I was in college, not before).

2) I have a baseline stutter worsened with nervousness.

As you can see, one is disability, the other is socioeconomic--and i'm equally confused on both. Personally, I am not one who makes excuses so I would say that I'm not disadvantaged; my parents, maybe, but not me. But I'm curious on SDN's take on things.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Recognize that whatever school you interview will have the right to grill you on your rationale behind being "disadvantaged". It can be likely that you happen to meet an interviewer who will say "So ____ your parents make six figure salary and you think you're disadvantaged? When I grew up, my parents lived on a farm and I lived on $1/day until I was 18, when I worked myself through college...etc...etc. Why do you say you're disadvantaged?"

This isn't to say you are or are not disadvantaged. It's just to say that admission officers--who do this sort of thing for a living--can smell sincerity and honesty from miles away. And imagine this:

You interview may directly follow a person who by the most "stereotypical" sense is disadvantaged (parents today make less than 30k, just lost health insurance, had to work 3 jobs while in college). Your narrative may come off insensitive to the struggles of many, many poor Americans--not a good sign for a socially-conscious doctor. However, it very well may not!! Only you know truly what your experience is like and whether you'll be able to truthfully convey the depth of your struggles (or lack thereof) Trust me, it will show.

And LizzM made a good related point on the other "disadvantage thread"
Claiming to be disadvantaged despite a high family income can be offensive to med admissions and cause a backlash but given your gpa, I would worry about it too much.

Last edited:
Personally, I am not one who makes excuses so I would say that I'm not disadvantaged; my parents, maybe, but not me.

If you don't identify yourself as disadvantaged, don't list yourself as disadvantaged. You may have been very disadvantaged for the first few years of your life, but based on what you said, you seem to have spent the majority of your school career in a non-disadvantaged situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't identify yourself as disadvantaged, don't list yourself as disadvantaged. You may have been very disadvantaged for the first few years of your life, but based on what you said, you seem to have spent the majority of your school career in a non-disadvantaged situation?

This is what I was thinking-- I've had a pretty badass life since coming to US with respect to food and shelter. If anyone has any other or alternative view points, I'd love to hear you guys out!

Since the hardship is really the smaller portion of your life, and it wasn't during school age to impact your education.. I would say that you aren't necessarily disadvantaged. If you feel strongly that you ARE disadvantaged, then I'm sure your explanation on your application will speak for itself.

Keep in mind, a lot of secondaries have "overcoming obstacles" essays where you can discuss either your disability or family hardships instead of through the disadvantaged section on the primary :)

Since the hardship is really the smaller portion of your life, and it wasn't during school age to impact your education.. I would say that you aren't necessarily disadvantaged. If you feel strongly that you ARE disadvantaged, then I'm sure your explanation on your application will speak for itself.

Keep in mind, a lot of secondaries have "overcoming obstacles" essays where you can discuss either your disability or family hardships instead of through the disadvantaged section on the primary :)

Nice! I was thinking about bringing up in the secondaries, but I didn't know if it would be overly whiny. Also, a lot of schools i'm applying to don't have secondaries.