• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

MD Sub 3.0 undergrad GPA, 4.0 SMP GPA, 519 MCAT.

JeSuisUnDoc

2+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
    You have no volunteering at all here. I mean volunteering abroad is frowned upon and you have only 40hr non-clinical volunteering in the US. I don’t think you should be applying at all until you get at least 150 for both. People who apply to top 10 have hundreds if not thousands in volunteering hours. Grades are not everything and research is lower in importance.

Hopefully one of the big names will reply to you soon. Good luck
    Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Goro

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis
    1. Non-Student
      You need more volunteering hours, both clinical and non-clinical. You have almost too low; I'd like to see double. STOP research if you're still doing it. And no need to shadow anymore. 100 hrs is overkill.
      I suggest:
      Columbia
      NYU
      BU
      Case
      Duke
      Hofstra
      Vandy
      Tufts
      Drexel
      SLU
      U Miami
      Albany
      NYMC
      Your state schools
      GWU
      Gtown
      Wake
      Wayne State
      Netter
      Loyola
      Rush
      Tulane
      Mayo
      Pitt
      Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 2 users
      About the Ads

Walter Raleigh

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      2+ Year Member
      Sep 20, 2015
      1. Pre-Medical
        If you're applying next cycle: you've still got time to get a few hundred hours' worth of hospice volunteering and a couple hundred hours of nonclinical work. Hell, even 100 of each will put you in good shape; ideally, you'd have 200 of each.

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
        5+ Year Member
        Apr 29, 2016
        1. Pre-Medical
        2. Medical Student
          Thank you for your suggestion.
          To clarify, are you recommending that I apply to high tier schools like Columbia, Vanderbilt, NYU, Pitt and Mayo despite my lack of volunteer hours?
          If you’re into donations, go ahead. Having a 4.0 SMP GPA is impressive, but schools like Columbia and Pitt will not over look a 2.9/2.8 GPA

Goro

Lifetime Donor
          10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Jun 11, 2010
          1. Non-Student
            Thank you for your suggestion.
            To clarify, are you recommending that I apply to high tier schools like Columbia, Vanderbilt, NYU, Pitt and Mayo despite my lack of volunteer hours?
            No, you especially need some good ECs for them, as well as the service loving schools like SLU and Tulane

Once you buff up your app, then apply to the schools on the list.

As of right now, I'm concerned about your lack of ECs.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
            10+ Year Member
            Verified Expert
            Jun 11, 2010
            1. Non-Student
              If you’re into donations, go ahead. Having a 4.0 SMP GPA is impressive, but schools like Columbia and Pitt will not over look a 2.9/2.8 GPA
              Actually, the reason I included them on the list is because they reward reinvention. NYU cares more about the MCAT, stat ****** that they are.

Reactions: 1 user

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
              5+ Year Member
              Apr 29, 2016
              1. Pre-Medical
              2. Medical Student
                Actually, the reason I included them on the list is because they reward reinvention. NYU cares more about the MCAT, stat ****** that they are.
                Be that as it may, NYU is all about their “standards.” The MCAT may like their interest, but a sub 3.0 GPA.....yo no sé
                If OP was on a budget, i’d Give that school a hard pass

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.