MD Sub 3.0 undergrad GPA, 4.0 SMP GPA, 519 MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xiuyuan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have no volunteering at all here. I mean volunteering abroad is frowned upon and you have only 40hr non-clinical volunteering in the US. I don’t think you should be applying at all until you get at least 150 for both. People who apply to top 10 have hundreds if not thousands in volunteering hours. Grades are not everything and research is lower in importance.

Hopefully one of the big names will reply to you soon. Good luck
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You need more volunteering hours, both clinical and non-clinical. You have almost too low; I'd like to see double. STOP research if you're still doing it. And no need to shadow anymore. 100 hrs is overkill.
I suggest:
Columbia
NYU
BU
Case
Duke
Hofstra
Vandy
Tufts
Drexel
SLU
U Miami
Albany
NYMC
Your state schools
GWU
Gtown
Wake
Wayne State
Netter
Loyola
Rush
Tulane
Mayo
Pitt
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're applying next cycle: you've still got time to get a few hundred hours' worth of hospice volunteering and a couple hundred hours of nonclinical work. Hell, even 100 of each will put you in good shape; ideally, you'd have 200 of each.

Thank you for your suggestion.
To clarify, are you recommending that I apply to high tier schools like Columbia, Vanderbilt, NYU, Pitt and Mayo despite my lack of volunteer hours?
If you’re into donations, go ahead. Having a 4.0 SMP GPA is impressive, but schools like Columbia and Pitt will not over look a 2.9/2.8 GPA

Thank you for your suggestion.
To clarify, are you recommending that I apply to high tier schools like Columbia, Vanderbilt, NYU, Pitt and Mayo despite my lack of volunteer hours?
No, you especially need some good ECs for them, as well as the service loving schools like SLU and Tulane

Once you buff up your app, then apply to the schools on the list.

As of right now, I'm concerned about your lack of ECs.

If you’re into donations, go ahead. Having a 4.0 SMP GPA is impressive, but schools like Columbia and Pitt will not over look a 2.9/2.8 GPA
Actually, the reason I included them on the list is because they reward reinvention. NYU cares more about the MCAT, stat ****** that they are.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, the reason I included them on the list is because they reward reinvention. NYU cares more about the MCAT, stat ****** that they are.
Be that as it may, NYU is all about their “standards.” The MCAT may like their interest, but a sub 3.0 GPA.....yo no sé
If OP was on a budget, i’d Give that school a hard pass