sub 3.0 undergrad GPA but high SMP GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremdddd

Reaction score
Hi everyone! First time poster here. I have been a bit conflicted and would love to get some advice. I graduated from undergrad with a 3.07 cGPA and 2.68 AMCAS & AACOMAS science gpas. I did an SMP at my local state school and graduated with a 3.8 GPA. I took my MCAT about two weeks ago and was averaging 510+ on my practice exams so I am hoping to get a similar score on my actual MCAT! I am applying this cycle and have received strong LORs and a comittee letter from my SMP. I have about 2000 hours of clinical working experience, 50 hours shadowing, and about 200 hours non-clinical volunteering. I am applying this cycle, but was wondering if I should still do a DIY post-bacc program (as a back up plan if I don't get into med school this cycle). Looking into my in state school, it is $450 per credit, which is way too steep for me, especially with no financial aid. I was thinking about doing a DIY program at a local community college because it would be much cheaper. With my SMP, is it still worth doing an informal post-bacc program? My biggest fear is the auto-screening from MD & DO schools (I am applying very broadly). Also, are there any schools that I should focus on that reward reinvention?

@Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! First time poster here. I have been a bit conflicted and would love to get some advice. I graduated from undergrad with a 3.07 cGPA and 2.68 AMCAS & AACOMAS science gpas. I did an SMP at my local state school and graduated with a 3.8 GPA. I took my MCAT about two weeks ago and was averaging 510+ on my practice exams so I am hoping to get a similar score on my actual MCAT! I am applying this cycle and have received strong LORs and a comittee letter from my SMP. I have about 2000 hours of clinical working experience, 50 hours shadowing, and about 200 hours non-clinical volunteering. I am applying this cycle, but was wondering if I should still do a DIY post-bacc program (as a back up plan if I don't get into med school this cycle). Looking into my in state school, it is $450 per credit, which is way too steep for me, especially with no financial aid. I was thinking about doing a DIY program at a local community college because it would be much cheaper. With my SMP, is it still worth doing an informal post-bacc program? My biggest fear is the auto-screening from MD & DO schools (I am applying very broadly). Also, are there any schools that I should focus on that reward reinvention?

@Goro
If you can't get into med school after aceing an SMP, then it's time for Plan B.

Once you have your MCAT score, then I can advise on school list.

@Goro Should I still consider enrolling into a DIY post bacc program as a backup plan in the fall?