Sub-30 MCATers, unite!

Started by Ms MD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
nibrocli said:
it definitely matters what state you're from. how are you feeling about going DO? i almost did, and would've been happy to do so.

I am happy going to a DO school. What I first thought was a disappointment turned out to be a blessing because I have the soul of a DO. :luck:
 
Hoya11 said:
"Nice try though" haha what a jerk.

I guess it was the "non-URM" in her post that lead me to believe she was non-URM.

URM, Disadvantaged, Female in a mostly male school, whatever... you have it easier.. and those scores below 27 on this thread are most likely these cases.

What are the names of these predominantly male schools that you speak of?
 
29R

Undergrad - 3.51
Grad - 3.79
Post-Bac - 3.87

Only granted interview at 2 schools and luckily got accepted.

I'm a non-trad applicant. Former engineer with very little clinical experience. Somehow I clicked with the interviewers at CU.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
MediMama23 said:
What are the names of these predominantly male schools that you speak of?

seriously. my favorite quote was "disadvantaged...you have it easier."
yeah, and i'm the jerk.
 
yanky5 said:
I am happy going to a DO school. What I first thought was a disappointment turned out to be a blessing because I have the soul of a DO. :luck:


DO's are cool.....and good docs too! The stigma is so lame! I knew DO's at Stanford, the Mayo, and UTSW. You should be proud of yourself. Good job!
 
Ms MD said:
hey guys, thanks for all the info and support.
Congrats on everyone who is doing well, and best of luck to those of us who are waiting. :luck:
It seems that the MCAT is important, but if you have a good GPA, LOR, application, you don't need a stellar score to get accepted.

I got an even 27Q last august, sent my AMCAS out in October, & found out later on that my LOR got out late -- Late January.
Rough application process ... I've had only 1 (out of 17) interview at a state school in an undesired area and now I'm waitlisted.
I'll have to study this summer to re-take the MCATs in case I don't get off the wait list.
I'm even considering withdrawing at that 1 school altogether to hopefully get a better score and apply to an even more competitive school --> Do you guys think this is silly? Or should I go if I get accepted to the state school? My GPA is avg, and I'm coming from a good private school.

I think your problem was just that your application was late.....you should be fine this time around? Get all your stuff done early....like the first week of June!!

Good luck.
 
28R
3.63 overall
3.8 BCPM
good EC's, good experiences in the business world (non-trad), great LORs, and I followed up appropriately with various schools etc.

2 DO acceptances, 1 MD waitlist, and 1 MD state school acceptance.
Apply broadly and try being proactive without being a pest. I think LORs are important, as is telling a story for your PS or any essays for secondaries.
I also feel that you must have a well rounded application with stats like these. It's critical not to have any major gaps or flaws. Also, relax during your interview and treat it as an opportunity to chat (social skills matter)about your experiences etc.

This process can be crazy. I would have applied even more broadly. It's worth the investment.
 
Not only did I have a 28, I also interviewed MSTP at my state school (Iowa). My admission, however, was MD only (#1 on waitist).
MCAT: very balanced 28
GPA: 3.7-3.8, I don't recall exactly what the AMCAS calculation was
TONS of research
I took the Aug MCAT.

I also know of people from my lab that gained admission to MD/PhD programs with a best combined score of 28, so it's possible......
 
I would argue that a lot of people on SDN are "normal"...well, at least they are like me...and I am nor-...oh, forget it.

Now mdapplicants--that's a different story. I never thought I would get in based on that website.
 
lexy10 said:
The few things I think I did right were

1. got my applications in really early
2. Had some interesting experiences in a broad range of medical and non-medical areas
3. really worked on my essays to perfect them

Exactly. Especially the 'early' bit.
 
microgin said:
You're being sarcastic, right?!?!?! :idea:

No Im serious...

Check other threads about uconn, "Uconn HOLD" was a thread that talked about this for this year..

when I applied, the class was to be composed of 2/3 females and 1/3 males.
Insane right?
This was being done in order to balance out the fact that 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years at the time were mostly males. And so the school wanted to even the gender ratio of total students. It was insane and unadvertised until the interview. This is happening at a lot of schools but is not talked about.
 
Awesome!!

somewhere2010 said:
28M: 17 secondaries, 12 interview invitations, 9 interviews attended, 4 acceptances (a couple scholarships), 3 waitlists, 2 post-interview rejections

i think the main reasons for my success are that my GPA was fine...i've done lots and lots of different things fairly in depth...had great LORs from prominent peeps...worked really hard on all my writing, even the little AMCAS activity descriptions...applied very early and turned in secondaries within 1 week of receiving them...had good GRE scores on my app too.

you can check out my mdapplicants profile below for details 🙂

just remember, those median MCAT scores for schools mean that half of accepted students had below that...and most top schools have medians in the low- to mid-30s. definitely assess your application in its entirety and don't let the MCAT score itself dictate where you apply.