Negotiating Scholarships Past April 30

Started by bagel123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bagel123

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am in a very fortunate position where I hold multiple acceptances with merit scholarships, but my top choice's financial aid isn't slated to come out until early/mid-May. I have decided to 'plan to enroll' at my top choice, but I'd have to withdraw my other school's acceptances. Would it be unethical to stay on other school's waitlists so that I can try and have other scholarship offers to negotiate with my top choice? My top choice may change depending on these finances as well. Is anyone else in a similar position due to FAFSA? Thank you in advance!
 
Hello! I am in a very fortunate position where I hold multiple acceptances with merit scholarships, but my top choice's financial aid isn't slated to come out until early/mid-May. I have decided to 'plan to enroll' at my top choice, but I'd have to withdraw my other school's acceptances. Would it be unethical to stay on other school's waitlists so that I can try and have other scholarship offers to negotiate with my top choice? My top choice may change depending on these finances as well. Is anyone else in a similar position due to FAFSA? Thank you in advance!
Similar position. I would not say it's unethical. The power is finally somewhat in our hands so let's use it boys.
 
Hello! I am in a very fortunate position where I hold multiple acceptances with merit scholarships, but my top choice's financial aid isn't slated to come out until early/mid-May. I have decided to 'plan to enroll' at my top choice, but I'd have to withdraw my other school's acceptances. Would it be unethical to stay on other school's waitlists so that I can try and have other scholarship offers to negotiate with my top choice? My top choice may change depending on these finances as well. Is anyone else in a similar position due to FAFSA? Thank you in advance!
you can try, but in practice once you get off another waitlist you will likely have a short timeframe to a) get financial aid from WL->A school, b) send that info to your current PTE school, and c) receiver a response.

So yes, negotiating is still in play but it will largely depend on available funds and how much they are willing to pay up for you to go there