Sub-i

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
not sure where to post this question and don't want to double post as I guess that is a no-no.
what exactly is a sub-I and when are you supposed to schedule it? I asked a few of my interns but none of them had done one? thanks in advance for the info. amy

Members don't see this ad.

not sure where to post this question and don't want to double post as I guess that is a no-no.
what exactly is a sub-I and when are you supposed to schedule it? I asked a few of my interns but none of them had done one? thanks in advance for the info. amy

A "sub-I" is a 4th year elective or "sub-internship", usually in the field in which you plan on pursuing, and in which you are given more responsibility than the usual cruising along 4th year student.

If you are planning a sub-i and wish to use the experience for a LOR for your residency application, then you want to do it before the end of October of your 4th year (generally, but it does depend on the match deadline for your specialty). When to schedule depends on how popular the elective is, bearing in mind that the more popular the earlier you have to try and schedule it.

i am interested in anesthesiology -- do they offer sub-i's? is october too late to get letters of rec. in? do you know what the match deadline is for anes? how do i find out if programs i am interested in offer sub-i's or do they all offer sub-i's? thanks for the info

i am interested in anesthesiology -- do they offer sub-i's?

Sure.

is october too late to get letters of rec. in?

No. While the match opens September 1, it doesn't close until December 1, so October still leaves you time.

do you know what the match deadline is for anes?

In my brief review of programs listed on FREIDA, it looks like December 1 is the most common deadline, although I saw some December 15 dates. But bear in mind that if you use ERAS and NRMP to participate in the match, THEIR deadline is December 1.

how do i find out if programs i am interested in offer sub-i's or do they all offer sub-i's? thanks for the info

Most programs have websites which list contact or direct info about visiting electives. Check out the web pages of programs you are interested in and if you don't see whether or not they offer sub-Is, call or email and ask.

You need to check with your school to see if they have an anesthesia sub-I. Mine does not, we have anesthesia electives and then we have a SICU sub-I run by anesthesia.

You want to get your application stuff into ERAS as soon as possible. Most programs will start to download your application as soon as they can (I think it was Nov 1st this year). So, try and get all your stuff in so you have the best shot at getting all your interviews.

I didn't get a letter until November (b/c my schedule sucked and I wasn't able to get one of my letters until late). This really hurt me b/c some places will not even look at your application until it is complete. Some places had already given out the majority of their interview spots.

If you want to do away rotations start looking NOW. Since anesthesia is so competitive and everyone wants to do away rotations at the schools they are really interested - it can be difficult to get an away rotation. Most schools don't start giving away rotations until all their students have rotated through.

Some people say to do an away at a prestigous school - that way you have a good shot at getting an interview there. I don't really know if it works or not but, most schools will give you an interview if you rotate through their department.

Also, be aware of how many away rotations your school will allow you to do.

Good luck!

I did two sub-I's, one at my home institution and one away, and here are some general tips (some of which were already mentioned:)

Start thinking about what you want your fourth year to look like. There are a few things you have to accomplish: prepare and take Step 2, do some rotations in your field of choice (in your case, anesthesia), get your application in order, and interview. Some important dates for your ERAS application (from this year, anyway, I guess this could change):
September 1 -- ERAS website opens and you can start filling out your application
November 1 -- Dean's letters released (often when many programs begin looking at applications in earnest)
December 1 -- applications due
As previously mentioned, you should aim to get your application done as soon as possible, so October should be the absolute latest you do a sub-I if you are looking for a LOR. A lot of my classmates did away sub-i's in the summer. A chapter could be written on how to structure your fourth year, and your school will likely go over this with you at some point in the near future, but generally plan to start the year running, do your anesthesia rotations (and any away electives you are going to use for LOR/"auditions") early; make sure you will have ample time to travel for interviews in the Nov-Jan timeframe; and assess how hard you will want to work in the end of the year.

Look on websites for places you are interested in doing your sub-i. As loveumms alluded to, some schools give preference to their own students or to in-state residents and only after all these students have been placed will they look at other visiting students. Make sure you have a backup plan.

Doing an away rotation can be very expensive. Housing is often not provided by the school and you may be left to your own devices to find a place to live. If this happens, start by checking out the website or call the student affairs office to ask for suggestions. You won't have been the first visiting student, and they likely will have some leads for you. But paying double rent/bills can quickly add up! (Not to mention application fees, gas, parking, ID badges, etc...)

If you are going to do an away rotation, I'd suggest doing an anesthesia rotation at your home program first, so you won't be totally green on your away sub-i. You'll likely need to get LOR from your home faculty anyway.

If doing an away rotation, make sure your school's malpractice coverage is sufficient for the school you are looking to visit. This rarely is an issue, but if it comes up it can end your chance at an away elective (found this out firsthand!)

A basic rule when considering doing an away elective is to be honest with yourself and figure out if this will help or hurt you. If someone is a great "on-paper" applicant with awesome grades, high board scores and a few publications but they come across as a jacka$$/doofus in person, they may not want to do an away rotation at a program they are interested in as it could hurt them. On the other hand, if you are a so-so or average applicant on paper but go to a program, work your tail off, be interesting and engaging, get to know some people in important places, then this may help you get an interview, if not move you up on the rank list. As I said, be honest with yourself--you will be in a different city, know no one, not know your way around the hospital and will not know "the system" so if this is going to ruffle your feathers too much, you may want to rethink doing a sub-i at your first choice program--think instead about going to a strong, well connected "name" program that may not necessarily be your first choice. You will be able to get good letters, but if you bobble the rotation, you won't have shot your chances at your top program.

Sorry for the long post--too much coffee with dinner tonight :scared: and battling insomnia--but I hope this helps! :)