OneFellSwoop

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My practice has been to essentially ignore prophylactic heparin 5k U bid when performing neuraxial blocks. I was looking at the ASRA coag app and there seems to be a new unpublished recommendation to hold heparin for 4h and ideally 6 prior to placement. in the 2010 ASRA guidelines there's a vague reference to delaying the injection until after the block as this "may" reduce the bleeding risk, however they state there's really no contraindication. Most academic recommendations I find essentially recommend the same thing as my current practice.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

psychbender

Cynical Member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Nowhere, nowhere at all...
Status
Attending Physician
My practice has been to essentially ignore prophylactic heparin 5k U bid when performing neuraxial blocks. I was looking at the ASRA coag app and there seems to be a new unpublished recommendation to hold heparin for 4h and ideally 6 prior to placement. in the 2010 ASRA guidelines there's a vague reference to delaying the injection until after the block as this "may" reduce the bleeding risk, however they state there's really no contraindication. Most academic recommendations I find essentially recommend the same thing as my current practice.

I don't particularly care about 5000 SQ heparin, and neither do the folk at U Washington.View attachment Neuraxial Guidelines_1.pdf

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

drmwvr

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Status
Non-Student

No more concern than with aspirin.