subcutaneous heparin and spinals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OneFellSwoop

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My practice has been to essentially ignore prophylactic heparin 5k U bid when performing neuraxial blocks. I was looking at the ASRA coag app and there seems to be a new unpublished recommendation to hold heparin for 4h and ideally 6 prior to placement. in the 2010 ASRA guidelines there's a vague reference to delaying the injection until after the block as this "may" reduce the bleeding risk, however they state there's really no contraindication. Most academic recommendations I find essentially recommend the same thing as my current practice.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!
 
My practice has been to essentially ignore prophylactic heparin 5k U bid when performing neuraxial blocks. I was looking at the ASRA coag app and there seems to be a new unpublished recommendation to hold heparin for 4h and ideally 6 prior to placement. in the 2010 ASRA guidelines there's a vague reference to delaying the injection until after the block as this "may" reduce the bleeding risk, however they state there's really no contraindication. Most academic recommendations I find essentially recommend the same thing as my current practice.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!
I don't particularly care about 5000 SQ heparin, and neither do the folk at U Washington.View attachment Neuraxial Guidelines_1.pdf

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
 
My practice has been to essentially ignore prophylactic heparin 5k U bid when performing neuraxial blocks. I was looking at the ASRA coag app and there seems to be a new unpublished recommendation to hold heparin for 4h and ideally 6 prior to placement. in the 2010 ASRA guidelines there's a vague reference to delaying the injection until after the block as this "may" reduce the bleeding risk, however they state there's really no contraindication. Most academic recommendations I find essentially recommend the same thing as my current practice.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

No more concern than with aspirin.