Subject vs. Systems-Based Medical Curriculum

Started by boaz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

All other factors being equal would you choose a subject or systems curriculum?

  • Subject-Based

    Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Systems-Based

    Votes: 42 71.2%
  • Not sure

    Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Either way--I don't care

    Votes: 5 8.5%

  • Total voters
    59
I've been accepted to schools with both. I'm choosing the school with the systems-based curriculum, for several reasons. For one, the one with the systems-based curriculum has a happier class at both schools. I mean, I want a life outside of school, and the students at the systems-based schools have lives. The students at the traditional curriculum school seem to spend 8 hours in class just to go home and study for another 6. But that's probably not due to the curriculum, because the systems-based curriculum won't start until 2010.

I like the idea that you can learn and have better retention of subjects when you learn it as a system. I like that you don't have to spend as much time in the classroom, and can focus more on clerkships as a result. I like that you have a better idea of what you want to go into because of the extra time. And, of course, it just makes more sense to me logically, because that's already how I study.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Being at a systems-based school, I can say that I'm a big believer in that method. I just think it makes more sense that way; it's not like the histology and physiology and biochemistry of, say, the GI tract are neatly compartmentalized in the body, they're ALL present simultaneously. So you might as well learn it all at once rather than learn pieces of the system at different times and then try to put it back together at the end.

Obviously, there are lots of people who go to other schools with the traditional system and it works well for them; I guess it's a personal thing, but for me, I'm a big believer in systems-based.
 
I don't really think it makes a huge difference. Sure, in theory, learning all about the anatomy/physio/micro/everything else of the kidney just sounds right. Why would you do it anyway else?

But when you get your schedule and there's all of these random classes that really fit into no system (ie all of immunology, genetics, etc) you see that the systems curriculum isn't really as clear cut and pretty as you'd think.
 
I don't really think it makes a huge difference. Sure, in theory, learning all about the anatomy/physio/micro/everything else of the kidney just sounds right. Why would you do it anyway else?

But when you get your schedule and there's all of these random classes that really fit into no system (ie all of immunology, genetics, etc) you see that the systems curriculum isn't really as clear cut and pretty as you'd think.

Those are either schools that just say they're "system-based" or "integrated". You need to find schools that have an actual integrated curriculum.
 
So is system based really less stressful/less time in class than the traditional one?

We don't do systems based here and I really think we are less-stressed than colleagues at some other schools. We have only about ~3 hours of lecture/day. I dunno....I like the way we do ours. It's all about how you learn.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd imagine that all that matters is fit: conceptual "big picture" thinkers would tend to favor systems, whereas details/facts-oriented types would tend to favor a traditional subject-based curriculum.

I know I've just invited a hail of stones upon myself but that's my opinion 😎.
 
I'd imagine that all that matters is fit: conceptual "big picture" thinkers would tend to favor systems, whereas details/facts-oriented types would tend to favor a traditional subject-based curriculum.

I know I've just invited a hail of stones upon myself but that's my opinion 😎.

well, i'm not sure why you think system-based involves less details/facts.
 
well, i'm not sure why you think system-based involves less details/facts.

They both involve the same amount of facts. The way the differ is how the facts are organized. A big picture thinker would tend to favor learning the facts in a way that shows how all the facts relate.