Submit all letters or committee letter only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnasir94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question has been asked in various formats before but I am still not 100% sure I am clear on my understanding of some medical college letter requirements.

Some will mention that they would like a committee letter OR other letters from individuals.

This is okay -- but my school does not offer a 'composite' committee letter with further enclosures/attachments. As such; I am curious to ask: If a school mentions this, would you recommend that I send my committee letter and some individual letters as well?

I am not sure how to go about this since it doesn't seem very clear to me.

Members don't see this ad.

That's weird..every school that has a committee that i know of sends the committee letter and attaches the other LORs. why doesn't your school do this?
do both. committee letters are very different from your individual letters

Too many letters: With the increase of schools and applicants in the past 5--10 years, many schools are becoming strict of the number of letters they want and list these in their requirements. I presume everyone not only reads the MSAR but checks the website for each and every school that they apply to for this as well as all other requirements. If a school says 4 letters max and you send 7, which 4 wind up in the system? You cant control this and you wont know which letters will then be seen by the adcom. You may have a school that puts all 7 letters in so which are read first? Which adcom member may see that there letters over the max and sees this applicant cant even follow a guideline?
You would be found guilty of a false presumption, in the first case, and completely correct in the second!

Reactions: 1 user
In response to G.NA, my undergrad institution did not even have the option for a committee letter, and it is one of the biggest schools in Texas. I found it very shocking as well when I found out that every other school not only has a committee letter written but normally also includes your additional letters as attachments.

What I did was attach 3 individual letters to my TMDSAS (Texas schools) application, and then followed up with each school individually to find out how many additional letters they accept that I could send directly. InterFolio was a life-saver in this regard. Some schools encouraged sending as many as I have, others restricted sending additional letters only after receiving an interview invitation, and some didn't want any additional letters to be sent at all