Submit app before Spring semester grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irish Football

MCAT Rudy Ruettiger
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My goal is to apply and submit my primary application June 1st to give myself the best chance. I know it's not for a while but I was just wondering;

My pre-health adviser said that I should send a transcript when I submit my app June 1st even if I haven't received all of my spring grades yet, and then send an updated transcript once all of my grades have been finalized. She said that this will give AMCAS a chance to start verifying my classes earlier rather than later and will speed up the entire process.

My question is, from the AMCAS site it seems as though they only want you to submit your app once all of your grades have been entered into the coursework section and they won't recalculate your GPA if you send an updated transcript, say with your spring grades. Here's the page,
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/183144/amcas_2010_faqs-6.8.html

Am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

This has been debated somewhat and the consensus is that you only have to include grades that are available at the time you submit your primary. If you submit your primary before your spring grades are out then you don't technically have to include them.

That said, I wouldn't recommend going this out. Almost all applicants include their spring grades - not including them would be a red flag in my view. It's an unnecessary risk that you'd be taking on.

You might want to play this according to how you feel you did in your spring classes. If they were a little harder and you don't feel great about them, maybe getting your app in as early as possible would benefit you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to play this according to how you feel you did in your spring classes. If they were a little harder and you don't feel great about them, maybe getting your app in as early as possible would benefit you.

If you didn't include your spring grades, don't you think the individual(s) reading your application would figure out what you're doing? These people aren't stupid.

I have no intention of "leaving out grades on purpose," I just want to get my application in as soon as possible. It seems like what you guys are saying though, is that as long as I don't do poorly in the Spring, come June 1st it may be better to wait a few days until I get my Spring grades and then submit my app with ALL of my grades?

I have no intention of "leaving out grades on purpose," I just want to get my application in as soon as possible. It seems like what you guys are saying though, is that as long as I don't do poorly in the Spring, come June 1st it may be better to wait a few days until I get my Spring grades and then submit my app with ALL of my grades?

Absolutely. Waiting a few days, especially that early on, doesn't matter. You'll still be complete very early.