Submit application before DO shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhopperInTheCar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not yet shadowed a D.O but scheduled to start in July. Since I want to apply to many schools that need a D.O LOR, should I write the shadowing experience i'll do in July to indicate that i'll have the LOR. or should I wait a month before applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see a problem in writing that you are scheduled to begin shadowing a DO. Just write a few sentences about what you are excited about, etc. You don't need to mention that you will be getting a LOR from them, though. In fact, I would leave that part out.

I wouldn't wait to apply.

I don't believe I really put anything about shadowing in my primary, maybe except my PS... but most of that info went into secondaries. Don't worry about it, apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am afraid that applying tomorrow will result in receiving secondaries early (before I get my DO LOR). Because I hear that secondaries should be completed quickly upon reception. So my question is, do LORs have to be apart of my secondaries? or do I send the LOR later in the process without affecting my chances of acceptance.

Then I would send in your primary when you are close to done with your shadowing. I sent my primary in around the end of the first week of July and it was recieved by schools 7/14, worked out just fine for me.

I am afraid that applying tomorrow will result in receiving secondaries early (before I get my DO LOR). Because I hear that secondaries should be completed quickly upon reception. So my question is, do LORs have to be apart of my secondaries? or do I send the LOR later in the process without affecting my chances of acceptance.

You have a legitimate concern. LECOM is the only school that I know of that will interview applicants without having received LORs. In that case, I would definitely agree with dntke1518's advice. Waiting to apply until you start the DO shadowing isn't a bad idea. It will give you the time to shadow while you wait to hear back from schools. By that time, you would potentially have enough experience to then ask for a letter and submit it with your secondary or shortly (emphasis on shortly) thereafter.

LORs are needed for schools (except LECOM) to begin the review process of your application and decide whether or not to grant you an interview invitation. So the longer you wait to get the letters in after submitting your secondary, the more delay there will be further in the process.

I am in a similar situation in which I will not be able to get my shadowing and letter of rec from a DO until probably mid July. However, in terms of turning in your secondary soon after, isn't the reason just so that there is less lag time? In theory, if you were to apply on the 1st, and receive secondaries before you were to get your letter, but then were able to finish your secondaries and get your letter say a couple of weeks after and turn in your secondaries, let's say July 15 (while holding your secondaries for a couple of weeks) wouldn't you be in a better situation than if you were to apply a month later, and receive your secondaries July 17 and turn them in on the 18th? Does holding onto your secondaries look that bad? I thought it was just the earlier you get things in (in general) the better your chances. Or do the schools look at how long you took to send them in despite the overall early timing vs. someone who turns it in a day after they receive it but at a later date...?

Just put an EC titled "Shadowing" and a start date. EVERYONE should be doing this - there's no reason to not list Shadowing as an EC. :idea: