Submit application before retaking OAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barrig99

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I took my OAT today and I was not happy with the results. I ended up scoring a 290 for both TS and AA. I was really shooting for a 330/340, but I guess the nerves got the best of me. I do plan on retaking it, but I was wondering if anyone would be willing to offer me any advice? I do have a GPA of 3.42, I have been working for two optometrists for close to three years now, and I am a member of the optometry club at my school. I also got three letter of recommendations, 2 from the optometrists I work for and one from an organic chemistry lab coordinator/professor from my university. I'm not sure if I should apply ASAP or if should I wait until I retake, which would be in 90 days (the soonest). Any guidance would be extremely appreciated, definitely feeling discouraged right now

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I understand where you are coming from with the OAT, as I have been there before. It is a monster of an exam and we are in the middle of a global pandemic which doesn't help anybody's situation. It is great to hear that you have the perseverance to retake it - I did as well! Looks like you have a very solid GPA, and you have great experience. Your letters of recommendations sound like they check the boxes as well. You should definitely apply ASAP! There is a spot on OptomCAS where you can indicate you are going to retake the OAT, but definitely apply as soon as you can. DO NOT feel discouraged!!! You are doing great things, and I believe in you. Schools will see your whole package :) hope this helps!

Hi! I understand where you are coming from with the OAT, as I have been there before. It is a monster of an exam and we are in the middle of a global pandemic which doesn't help anybody's situation. It is great to hear that you have the perseverance to retake it - I did as well! Looks like you have a very solid GPA, and you have great experience. Your letters of recommendations sound like they check the boxes as well. You should definitely apply ASAP! There is a spot on OptomCAS where you can indicate you are going to retake the OAT, but definitely apply as soon as you can. DO NOT feel discouraged!!! You are doing great things, and I believe in you. Schools will see your whole package :) hope this helps!
Hi! Thanks so much for replying, it's always great to hear back and get opinions from people who are interested in the same career path. When you retook the OAT did you happen to do better? Pretty bummed that they don't allow students to retake it until after 90 days have passed

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did do slightly better, but it was not a huge jump! It is sort of a bummer that you can't take it within 90 days.

I would apply as soon as possible, I had a 300TS/300AA and got into every school I applied to and I believe applying early had a big factor in that (as well as other things). 90 days is 3 months which will put you in December which is considered late for some programs. I think apply now!

I did do slightly better, but it was not a huge jump! It is sort of a bummer that you can't take it within 90 days.
Hi again! I decided to listen to your advice and submitted most of my applications (except for two, I'm gonna wait for my scores) but I had a question. For starters, congrats on your acceptance to PCO! I decided to apply there as well but I was wondering when the CASPer test should be done? I didn't even know this was a thing until recently. Will they still evaluate my application even if I haven't it yet?

Hi! Congratulations on submitting your applications. That is a great feeling! Thank you so much - PCO is a great school and I am blessed to be offered to attend there! I would say register for and take the CASPer test as soon as possible but I believe there is deadline listed on PCO's website! It is really just an examination to determine your non-cognitive side and how you would respond to certain real life scenarios. It is nothing to be nervous about at all, and it requires no studying! I took my CASPer test around the same time I submitted my application and was one of the first groups to interview so I am not sure how they evaluate applications without the CASPer test. I would reach out to their admissions office! They are always so happy to help!