MD Submit MCAT scores after application deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nlmacbu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there's a possibility of applying to medschool without MCAT scores before the deadline, and then submitting the scores after deadline, if that makes any sense. I fell behind on my studies and I'm not comfortable with taking the MCAT this year (since they don't have exams after late September).

I know of numerous medschools that have application deadlines in mid december. Do those require both the application and MCAT scores to be submitted by the deadline? Since AAMC holds MCAT again in January, I was wondering if there is a possibility of me submitting the application before December and having the MCAT scores from January sent in for the same application.

If not I'll have to take the year off and reapply for the next cycle. I can find a fulltime job for the year and earn some money but I'd like to know if there is any chance of this working out.

Members don't see this ad.

They won't review your app unless there is an MCAT score attached to it..take a year off..and apply next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Bad idea. Rolling admissions means that most of the interviews will have been granted by that time. June 2016 is your best bet by far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you check school
Specific sites/MSAR? I'm pretty sure they list when the last date for MCATs is. And it is usually the September date. You won't be considered complete until there is a MCAT score. Don't take the MCAT until you are ready and apply next cycle.

What part of deadline don't you understand? Adcoms like people who can follow simple instructions.

I was wondering if there's a possibility of applying to medschool without MCAT scores before the deadline, and then submitting the scores after deadline, if that makes any sense. I fell behind on my studies and I'm not comfortable with taking the MCAT this year (since they don't have exams after late September).

I know of numerous medschools that have application deadlines in mid december. Do those require both the application and MCAT scores to be submitted by the deadline? Since AAMC holds MCAT again in January, I was wondering if there is a possibility of me submitting the application before December and having the MCAT scores from January sent in for the same application.

If not I'll have to take the year off and reapply for the next cycle. I can find a fulltime job for the year and earn some money but I'd like to know if there is any chance of this working out.

Did you check school
Specific sites/MSAR? I'm pretty sure they list when the last date for MCATs is. And it is usually the September date. You won't be considered complete until there is a MCAT score. Don't take the MCAT until you are ready and apply next cycle.

I think my best bet is to take the test in January and get everything ready to apply in June for the next cycle. My 4 undergrad years were a little chaotic, my major being molecular and cellular biology. I just couldn't make up time to study for MCAT with all the other classes and working 20+ hours a week. I was going to take it the summer after my graduation (this summer) but I just don't feel like I worked hard enough to take the test.

And honestly part of it was the Kaplan books I've been using to study. Coming from a biology major, I feel like I burned all my energy on stuff I already know and when I get to stuff I need to brush up on, I'm already exhausted from studying. Is there a compact review book out there with all-things-MCAT?

Being 24, I just don't feel like I can wait around till the Fall of 2017 to start school again. But now I've come to realize that a lot of people get into medschool in mid to late twenties. And as long as I get in, I wouldn't care how old I am once I'm in.

Last edited:
What part of deadline don't you understand? Adcoms like people who can follow simple instructions.

It's not that I don't understand what went wrong here. I'm just trying to figure out my options. I came to US only in 2011 to start college (I have PR status now). I wish I had the guidance to plan medschool ahead of time. I would've taken MCAT in junior year of college and applied to medschool. I just didn't have the guidance. All my sophomore year was spent trying to figure out how to transfer from a community college to a major university, only to realize how easy my first 2 years were.

But yeah I think I'll have to apply for the next cycle.