Submit more than one primary application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AshPreMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I submit more than one primary application? Or do I have to select all the schools I want to apply to now and finalize my personal statement? I want to submit it to those with Nov 1st deadline and improve it for the ones with later deadlines so that I can submit other primary applications to them.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can submit now, and if you decide to you can add more schools to submit your primary application to.

Once you submit for verification you can add schools later on, but you can't alter your personal statement or ECs.

Plus it's really late in the cycle to not submit your primary app to all your schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
But i want to improve it. My primary app is still in draft. extremely caught up with tests, research, applications for research, etc... doing honours, 2 majors + minor lol. and running a community on the side.

You can only have one active account in AMCAS. Pretty sure it is linked to your SSN or some other unique identifier, so probably not possible to create a second account.

have you not submit your amcas yet?.. at this point. i mean, might as well wait until next app cycle. "deadlines" mean nothing in rolling admissions.

It's right on page 13 of the AMCAS Instruction Manual:

In order to access any component of AMCAS, you must log in with a valid username and password... Do not create multiple AAMC ID numbers by registering a second time, as this may result in an investigation.

So, no you may not.

But i want to improve it. My primary app is still in draft. extremely caught up with tests, research, applications for research, etc... doing honours, 2 majors + minor lol. and running a community on the side.

Then wait until next cycle. Look, I took a peek at your other posts/ threads, and I think you're looking for ways to skirt around the core issue here. SDN can be (unnecessarily) harsh, but I think on this much everyone here has been spot on: You are not a competitive applicant this cycle, for many MANY reasons.

Best of luck.

Wait to apply and improve your application while adding to it. If you keep up the hard work, you will have plenty of new and interesting ECs to add to your application. Wait until next year and apply early (circa June 5th when application submissions open) to give yourself the best chance at getting that acceptance letter.

Don't waste your money. Apply next year.

Can I submit more than one primary application? Or do I have to select all the schools I want to apply to now and finalize my personal statement? I want to submit it to those with Nov 1st deadline and improve it for the ones with later deadlines so that I can submit other primary applications to them.

Judging from your question, you need to learn a lot more about the application process (and perhaps med school, itself?). You cannot learn all of this and utilize it in the couple of days you have left until the AMCAS deadline (btw supposed to be Nov 1st, but they extended it by a couple of days because of Sandy). Like everyone else said, wait until next cycle. in the meantime, learn how the application process works (and more about med school) and strengthen your app.

WHY CAN'T I APPLY NOW AND NEXT YEAR? I REALLY THINK I HAVE A SHOT AT GETTING ACCEPTED THIS YEAR. I don't want to waste it.

Tons of people get accepted after their second application, and if they had to reapply in the first place, it is likely they weren't competitive enough to begin with. So, given that they start weak anyway, if reapplying was a significant disadvantage then there would be very few who got refused the first time but accepted the second time (which is not the case).

Other people have told me to apply. No offense, but without being given reasons I'm confused. Thanks for your help.

I have an amazing PS score (12, 95 percentile) and astonishing extracurriculars. English is my second language. I think they'll be more forgiving on VR for me. Why not just apply? It won't hurt me that much?

Schools operate on rolling admissions. Many schools have already given out their first round of acceptances and soon will give out the second. Because you are applying so late, by the time you are verified, there will be far fewer seats open than if you apply early. You do have a shot at being accepted, but it is much less than if you had applied earlier. Many people have already been waitlisted for spots that are available. So you are competing with many outstanding applicants for the same spot, and the ones who applied earlier will more than likely get the spot.

Unless you have outstanding MCAT and GPA and ECs, you will have much more trouble getting in compared to an identical applicant who applied early in the cycle. Schools essentially operate on a first come first serve for acceptance spots, so if you want a good chance at acceptance, apply early

WHY CAN'T I APPLY NOW AND NEXT YEAR? I REALLY THINK I HAVE A SHOT AT GETTING ACCEPTED THIS YEAR. I don't want to waste it.

Tons of people get accepted after their second application, and if they had to reapply in the first place, it is likely they weren't competitive enough to begin with. So, given that they start weak anyway, if reapplying was a significant disadvantage then there would be very few who got refused the first time but accepted the second time (which is not the case).

Other people have told me to apply. No offense, but without being given reasons I'm confused. Thanks for your help.

I have an amazing PS score (12, 95 percentile) and astonishing extracurriculars. English is my second language. I think they'll be more forgiving on VR for me. Why not just apply? It won't hurt me that much?
This is just advice. Sound advice might I add. You can do whatever you choose. But just so you know, everyone who has tried to help you know what they are talking about. Btw your stats are not THAT amazing for THIS late in the cycle. Do what you will, we are just trying to help.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can. No one is stopping you. :shrug:

Well. No, actually. Tons of people don't. Is being a reapplicant a death knell? Hardly. But this is not a process that is done half-*****edly (which you are doing), and any successful reapplicant will confirm that they made some major change to their application (re-working PS, boosting a score, applying months earlier than the prior cycle).

Well, let's see. ::cracks knuckles::

You have a subpar GPA.
You have a mediocre MCAT (with an application-killing VR subsection).
You will have a rushed, and therefore poorly written primary application.
You will have rushed, and again, poorly written, secondary essays.
You have little clinical experience.
Your extracurriculars are not as good as you think they are. (SDN members tend to suffer from the Lake Wobegon effect.)
And, AND, you're application is incredibly late.

Again, if you want to apply, apply. It's your life (and probably your parents' money). But what I see is a young applicant who shows the exact kind of immaturity and lack of long-view thinking that would make me wary to admit a 20-year old in the first place. But hey, I'm just here to distract myself from secondaries offer you advice. Look, I understand that it seems like you lose nothing if you just shoot some apps in now, but the time you are committing to you application this cycle could be used to bolster you clinical experiences, improve your GPA, and drive forward goals of the organization you lead. And if you think you can do all of this and commit to applying this cycle, you vastly underestimate the amount of time/effort necessary to apply.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Your overall MCAT is below average and terribly unbalanced; your GPA is below average; and your application timing is too late into the season.

Your PS score alone cannot carry the rest of your scores. When people think of 95th percentile MCAT, they're probably thinking of ~35 and above, with an even distribution (12-11-12 or 11-13-11 for example).

It sounds like you are very interested in doing research. Why don't you go for a PhD or even just Master's before applying to medical school. I know a PhD is a long time, but you said you were interested in MD/PhD as it is (not the program but getting both degrees). This will give you time to learn English better, which will help your VR score, and you can get some clinical experience.

OP, you can add more schools after you initially submit. For example, if you submitted in June, you could still add schools as you wish until the deadline. However, you can't edit the personal statement after submitting, you can only add more schools. Being that it is so late, I'm not sure how many schools you can still add because some schools' deadline may have passed. I would just wait to apply. I don't see what the rush is.

Last edited:
The rush is to avoid waiting 2 years in a masters before applying. I want to specialize in research AFTER i get in MD and have explored terrain (not a naive undergrad). Besides, an MD gives the same research qualifications a Masters does. I can do research with MD. (though they're slightly different). After I explore areas in MD then I can be more confident and safe in specializing in something in graduate school (research).

Clemson, what you suggested is actually my backup plan. It's a good one and I thank you for your good insight, but it is my backup plan... I want to get accepted this year, not TWO years later. :(

The rush is to avoid waiting 2 years in a masters before applying. I want to research AFTER i get in MD and have explored terrain (not a naive undergrad). Besides, an MD covers the same stuff a Masters does. I can do research with MD. (though they're slightly different). After I explore areas in MD then I can be more confident in specializing in something in graduate school (research).

Clemenson, what you suggested is actually my backup plan. It's a good one and I thank you for your good insight, but it is my backup plan... I want to get accepted this year, not TWO years later.

You have little to no chance of getting accepted this cycle and almost a 100% guarantee on wasting your money.

Many of the spots are already taken and you don't have any stats that make yourself stand out, as a late applicant.

Tell us, what do you think you have that will make an adcom want to interview you this late in the application? Bad MCAT, bad GPA, decent to good EC's, and almost no clinical exposure.

Take a breath and reassess your plan. It's got a lot of holes. I recommend improving your application so that you will actually have a chance of getting into a school. No one is against you here; if we didn't want to help you, we would tell you that you're perfectly fine and that you'll definitely get in. Tough Love>overly deluded and optimistic

Humility is a great trait to have, and no better way to learn it than by going into an application cycle with a boat load of confidence and getting absolutely no love from schools. Take it from me who has been there before.

The rush is to avoid waiting 2 years in a masters before applying. I want to research AFTER i get in MD and have explored terrain (not a naive undergrad). Besides, an MD gives the same research qualifications a Masters does. I can do research with MD. (though they're slightly different). After I explore areas in MD then I can be more confident and safe in specializing in something in graduate school (research).

Clemenson, what you suggested is actually my backup plan. It's a good one and I thank you for your good insight, but it is my backup plan... I want to get accepted this year, not TWO years later.

You're not going to get accepted this year, no matter how much you want it. I'm not trying to be mean here, just honest. Med school admissions are highly competitive, and you're just not competitive this cycle.

Last edited:
I looked at some of your WAMC posts to give you some advice as to why you shouldn't apply.

1. You have a 3.3 cgpa and most likely lower sgpa you didn't state. Those are both way below the average for absolutely any MD school. I think it falls below the 10% at most schools as well. And grade deflation is not an excuse adcoms will see in your application, regardless of if its true. The average cgpa of matriculants in 2011 was a 3.67.

2. You have a 28 MCAT with a 6 in Verbal. Regardless of if you think it's important or not, I guarantee medical schools do. There are quite a few schools that screen out applicants who don't have a 7+ subsection score, so that's a huge disadvantage as it is. Plus a 28 is below the matriculating average for medical school (31 in 2011).

3. Your activities are good, but by no means outstanding. They may seem it, but the application process is filled with outstanding candidates who have done extremely amazing things, besides just research and some volunteering. It's also more important to show what you learned/how you grew out of an activity, rather than repeatedly trying to toot your horn about how amazing they are.

4. You have very little clinical experience. How can you possibly know you want to be a physician without experiencing what the day to day activities are? I'm sure med schools will ask the same question.

5. You are beyond extremely late. Even if the amcas deadline is this week, you still have to get verified and then complete/submit secondaries, and wait for them to be processed before schools even look at you. Some schools like VCU and Einstein already have interview slots filled into January and February. Why should they give you an interview this late in the season? For that matter, Im not sure if a 3.9+, 35+ cookie cutter applicant would get an interview applying this late.

With your stats you might have a 23% chance of being accepted, but applying this late, with your uneven mcat distribution, and no clinical experiences effectly will kill your application.

And lastly, I think you could use a year or two to just grow a little. Your posts make you sound like you DESERVE to go to medical school. A little humility will go a long way, as well as increasing your grades and clinical exposure and having time to reflect before you rush the process.

So summarizing my answer to your question about why you shouldn't apply:

-subpar gpa
-subpar mcat
-little clinical exposure
-extremely, extremely late primary submission

Though you probably will still just disregard this thread and people's responses, just as in your other threads, I wish you luck in your application process.

Actually, my understanding is that it will be the opposite: because English is your second language, they will particularly scrutinize your verbal score to make sure you have adequate communication skills. I don't know what your VR is, but if it is less than 9 or 10, I would be pretty concerned and think about re-taking to show that my language skills are up to par.

Writing section will not make up for VR.

Why do you have to wait 2 years to get accepted. Get a large amount of clinical shadowing in this year and apply next June 5th on June 5th to a bunch of schools for your best shot at getting in. That is only one extra year. Applying this late without clinical experience is NOT a good idea.

I am just saying you want to give yourself the best shot possible. Applying this late without good experience is shooting yourself in the foot as an applicant.

To answer your OP: AMCAS refuses to allow you to make any changes to the personal statement, activities description, etc after you submit.

This sounds like a very bad idea to apply this year (on the deadline, rushed primary with some of the most important items in draft form)