Submitted AMCAS Application Late July (25th)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RenegadeOkapi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN:

I have been really concerned with how significantly a late submission can impact my chances if I submitted in late July. I really was not convinced of a cohesive central theme in my PS until late in my writing process. Coupled with full-time research, a 1.5+ hour daily commute, and EMT training, the time I could work on the application was limited (I really should have prioritized better :().

If I pre-write my secondary applications and submit them as soon as possible, do you think that will improve my chances?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

The consensus here is to submit your complete app, including secondaries, by Labor Day. You'll probably be verified around the end of August. If you prewrite all your secondaries and submit them as soon as they come in, you should be fine :)

Thank you! That eases my worries a bit. How long do secondaries take to be released after verification? I know some schools have already sent me their secondaries automatically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! That eases my worries a bit. How long do secondaries take to be released after verification? I know some schools have already sent me their secondaries automatically.
It really depends. As for the ones that aren't screened, I got most of mine automatically, usually within about 3-5 days. A few took a week.

The screened ones, (the UC's in CA are the only schools I personally know of that screen pre-secondary) took anywhere from 1 day to almost a month. There really isn't any logic to it.

If it makes you feel better, I submitted my primary less than a week after the opening, but won't be getting my committee letter til the end of August, so I'm not early anymore, and will probably be on a similar timeline as you. Lots of people are in a similar situation, so submitting your primary early isn't everything.

I am on the same boat as you OP! I hope our AMCAS gets verified mid-late Aug!
P.S. I read somewhere on SDN saying that last cycle, Aug 1 was the peak and verification took 20 days.

Same boat as you as well. Hopefully we should be fine.

Hi all:

I just wanted to post an update to perhaps reassure others in the same boat. I received verification of AMCAS on August 17 and received secondaries over the last two days.

Hi all:

I just wanted to post an update to perhaps reassure others in the same boat. I received verification of AMCAS on August 17 and received secondaries over the last two days.

Hi, I was just wondering how your cycle went last year and whether you received MD acceptances? I tried PM'ing you, but was not able to start a convo. Hope you can help!