Submitted application, completed processing, now have second thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmind

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions...as I am a bit confused.

1. When they say your application has completed "processing" does that mean it has been verified?

2. I am having second thoughts after receiving my MCAT score on applying to certain schools and MD schools in general. Is there any way to withdraw my app from certain schools or altogether? AMCAS says no, but I just want to make sure.

3. If you don't complete a secondary for a school, do they assume you have withdrawn your application from them or do they still process your application?

Basically I am worried that I will be wasting a bunch of time and energy with my low MCAT of 24Q GPA: 3.74 since I applied to around 30 schools.

I am getting tons of secondaries in my email, and am thinking it would be a terrible thing to have to fill all of them out, spend the fee, just to get an outright rejection.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes. Same thing.

3. If you don't turn in a secondary, then you're done at that school. You wont go any further in the process at that school.

That MCAT score will hurt you, no question. Maybe you could retake or something?

I would still follow through with some of the schools. Not all 30, but maybe 5-10. If you check out this link, people with 3.6-3.79 GPA and 24-26 MCAT have 35% acceptance rate. Look at the schools you applied to and figure out which ones you still have a shot at. Also, you can search peoples mdapps based on GPA and MCAT. Do a search with your numbers and see where those people were accepted.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
I would still follow through with some of the schools. Not all 30, but maybe 5-10. If you check out this link, people with 3.6-3.79 GPA and 24-26 MCAT have 35% acceptance rate. Look at the schools you applied to and figure out which ones you still have a shot at. Also, you can search peoples mdapps based on GPA and MCAT. Do a search with your numbers and see where those people were accepted.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

Thanks...that link helps a lot. A 35% acceptance rate isn't horrible....

If you want to withdraw from a school, it's as simple as sending an e-mail to their applications office. I think that would be a little 'friendlier' than just not answering their secondaries - that way they'll know to close the file on their end and not waste time trying to contact you.

But I agree with the above, you don't want to withdraw too many applications yet, especially at this point. You've already paid for the primaries, might as well roll some dice (but if you need to get rid of some of the $70 long-shot secondaries, that's understandable).

Start filling out those applications to DO schools then.

In the official paper, 35% includes DO schools - so if you want to have any shot at a realistic school, I would start submitting for those schools too.

Yes, go to DO schools good advice. Also apply to minority programs.

Is that true, that the 35% includes DO programs? I think that is false information, since AMCAS is separate and independent from AACOMAS.

I submitted my application for DO schools the beginning of July.

I have a couple of questions...as I am a bit confused.

1. When they say your application has completed "processing" does that mean it has been verified?

2. I am having second thoughts after receiving my MCAT score on applying to certain schools and MD schools in general. Is there any way to withdraw my app from certain schools or altogether? AMCAS says no, but I just want to make sure.

3. If you don't complete a secondary for a school, do they assume you have withdrawn your application from them or do they still process your application?

Basically I am worried that I will be wasting a bunch of time and energy with my low MCAT of 24Q GPA: 3.74 since I applied to around 30 schools.

I am getting tons of secondaries in my email, and am thinking it would be a terrible thing to have to fill all of them out, spend the fee, just to get an outright rejection.

Well, according to this table (http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm), you have a 35% probability of getting accepted to a US medical school.

I'd apply but have a Plan B for next year.

Is that true, that the 35% includes DO programs? I think that is false information, since AMCAS is separate and independent from AACOMAS.

I submitted my application for DO schools the beginning of July.

Although on that page they don't ever specify allo, if you go to their Member Medical School page, I don't see any osteo schools.
http://services.aamc.org/memberlist...home.search&search_type=MS&state_criteria=ALL

I would assume then it's only MD applicants.

Correct, that info. does not include Osteopathic schools as the AAMC and the AACOM are different organizations.

It also doesn't take into account URM status, people in BS/MD programs that don't need a very good score on the MCAT, and people with insane ECs.

It also doesn't take into account URM status, people in BS/MD programs that don't need a very good score on the MCAT, and people with insane ECs.

I don't think the OP is in either of those boths. So start planning for next year.