submitted chapter in a book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just submitted a chapter for a book and it is currently in the pcompilation process. Whats the best way to submit this in the ERAS application? I notice they have a mandatory space for page numbers and year of publication.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same question, if anyone can help us out it would be greatly appreciated.

From the ERAS worksheet:

Publication Type:*
Select from:
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published)
Statuses: Submitted, Provisional Accepted, Accepted or In-Press

Peer Reviewed Book Chapter
Scientific Monograph
Other Articles
Poster Presentation
Oral Presentation
Peer Reviewed Online Publication
Non Peer Reviewed Online Publication

This would be "in press" if you're sure it's going to be included.

but does the heading Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (Other than Published) include book chapters as well?

eras sucks...there should be a heading "peer-reviewed book chapter (other than published)" where you can select in-press or accepted as the status.

i am in the same boat as you residentmd, i have an accepted book chapter not yet published. i was thinking about just listing the book chapter under "peer-reviewed book chapter" and putting "to be determined" for page numbers. after listing the name of the publishing house, i was going to write status: accepted. when it gets formatted on the cv it looks like this:

J. Doe (2009). Ascites. In A. Smith (Ed.), Hepatology (pp. to be determined). New York, NY. Elsevier. Status: Accepted.

i'm not sure if this is appropriate, can anyone shed some light on this? thanks.

Looks like ERAS only allows the "in press" for articles. In that case, you'll have to choose:

1. List it as a book chapter, published, and include in the title "(accepted, in press)" or something like that. You'll likely need to put a page number of 0, or something like that.

2. List it in the Peer reviewed Journal Articles (other than published) section, and label it as "(Book Chapter)" in the title.

3. Don't list it at all in your pub section, and mention it in an Experience section.

I am in the same situation, and have decided to list mine under "Book Chapter, Published" and noting "in press" in the description. It's silly that ERAS does not have a section for book chapters in print. Writing a freakin' textbook chapter warrants more recognition than being included in the "Experiences" section.

I am in the same situation, and have decided to list mine under "Book Chapter, Published" and noting "in press" in the description. It's silly that ERAS does not have a section for book chapters in print. Writing a freakin' textbook chapter warrants more recognition than being included in the "Experiences" section.

I like mathemagician's idea.

But... when you put 2010 for year, it keeps telling me to put another year! Anyone else have this problem?

But... when you put 2010 for year, it keeps telling me to put another year! Anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone have any new thoughts on this? I am in need of an answer as well. It seems like people have been putting it in "Peer Reviewed Book Chapter" or "Other Articles." I am leaning toward the latter. Also, if the textbook will be published at a future (but unknown) date, then what date should be selected?

My apologies for resurrecting a 3 year-old thread. Thanks!

Last edited:
how do you get to participate in writing a chapter in a book?

how do you get to participate in writing a chapter in a book?

In my case, I was doing research for a physician who was invited by another colleague to contribute to a textbook. The task was then offered to me.

Now to figure out how to list it on ERAS...

Last edited:
In my case, I was doing research for a physician who was invited by another colleague to contribute to a textbook. The task was then offered to me.

Now to figure out how to list it on ERAS...

I had this quandary last year. I believe I went with Peer Reviewed Book Chapter and then indicated in press/2012 as the publish year. In the end, it's not a huge deal where you put it (unless you completely miscategorized it) because the person who reads it will obviously know the intent behind it.