Submitted personal statement, but can still edit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meredith92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably just anxiety talking, but I submitted ERAS this morning and now want to make a small edit to my personal statement. Its not a typo and probably won't make a difference, but I would sort of like to change one of the sentences. When I open the personal statement it seems as though I can still edit it. Do you think thats alright since its not the 15th yet? Or will all the programs see I had two versions?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Once you certify, it's final but you can de-assign a personal statement and add a new one.

Once you certify, it's final but you can de-assign a personal statement and add a new one.

Will the programs be aware that I did that? Or does it appear as though this is the first personal statement given that the application is not visible yet?

Thanks again for your help

I don't know, but I don't see why they should be able to see.

Will the programs be aware that I did that? Or does it appear as though this is the first personal statement given that the application is not visible yet?

Thanks again for your help

Simple answer--if you submit a revised version today, there is no way a program will know it's not original.

More complex answer--When you edit a personal statement, the new version replaces the old. Programs will get a notice, if they look for it, that a new personal statement was submitted. Honestly, it's pretty rare that I go looking for that detail when I'm trying to review/assess hundreds of applications as quickly as possible. If you submit a revised personal statement before a program has reviewed your application, they won't know it's not the original. If you submit after they've reviewed your application they may not know there is a new version (depending on how closely they look at the new documents list). Programs don't see multiple versions of the personal statement.

Reactions: 1 users
Simple answer--if you submit a revised version today, there is no way a program will know it's not original.

More complex answer--When you edit a personal statement, the new version replaces the old. Programs will get a notice, if they look for it, that a new personal statement was submitted. Honestly, it's pretty rare that I go looking for that detail when I'm trying to review/assess hundreds of applications as quickly as possible. If you submit a revised personal statement before a program has reviewed your application, they won't know it's not the original. If you submit after they've reviewed your application they may not know there is a new version (depending on how closely they look at the new documents list). Programs don't see multiple versions of the personal statement.

Very helpful! Thank you!

Sorry, just to clarify, do I have to reassign it or if I just update it will it automatically be updated for all the programs I had already sent it to?

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, just to clarify, do I have to reassign it or if I just update it will it automatically be updated for all the programs I had already sent it to?

was wondering the same thing

I would think, in your particular situation, there is no need to re assign.
Reasoning is that your PS in the fashion you've had it saved will be available for viewing starting in a few hours. Thus it will me your revised version.

On the other hand, if you updated it after today, there's no guarantee the program downloaded your updated version, because they may have downloaded first thing it was available.

At least this is my impresssion.

There's no downloading. I think that if you edit your PS, it creates a new PS. You'll then need to reassign that new PS to any program to which you've applied.

Reactions: 1 users
The ERAS user guide makes it sound like you don't re-assign and it's automatically updated. Check pg 25 of the pdf, hopefully attached to this post if I did it right.
0ab6f6726608dacef3ba013ef1973673.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I just spoke with ERAS help desk.

There is no re-assign business.

He said when you click "update" on your PS, it automatically links that new revised version with the programs to which you've assigned that letter.

Reactions: 6 users