Submitting a Primary without submitting a Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGrl@2022

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today is the last day to submit a primary application for some schools. There is one school that I am on the fence about applying to. I am interested in it. However, since it is already late, my MCAT is sorta low (although I am a URM with 5 years of research experience and solid/highish GPA), they seem to have given out a lot of interview invites and it is a state school that I am a non-resident for. Since, I am on the fence on it should I just submit the primary and if I later decide that it would be pointless to submit a secondary, just not submit it? Is there a harm to doing this?

I will have be complete at 10 MD/DO schools as of tomorrow. I am just adding 2 more (including the school that I am on the fence about). I hate to throw away money, but by not applying I would be missing out on the chance of getting into a medical school.

Your advice is greatly appreciated, I have a few hours to make the decision.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

the only harm is the $33 or whatever missing from your wallet. add if it you want, you're not obligated to do the secondary if you decide you don't want to apply there.

the only harm is the $33 or whatever missing from your wallet. add if it you want, you're not obligated to do the secondary if you decide you don't want to apply there.

If for some reason, I do not get accepted this year and I need to re-apply. Would it count against me for the future cycles that I submitted a primary without a secondary? Would I officially be a re-applicant at that school? Will that hurt me?

Members don't see this ad :)
If for some reason, I do not get accepted this year and I need to re-apply. Would it count against me for the future cycles that I submitted a primary without a secondary? Would I officially be a re-applicant at that school? Will that hurt me?

Yes, yes, very probably. Reapplicants have to work very hard to show improvement from the last cycle.

I figure your primary is already verified. Yes you'll be considered a reapplicant regardless of completing the secondary.

Yes, you would be a reapp. Honestly, this late in the cycle, if you're not going to submit the secondary relatively soon, what's the point? If you're going to spend $33 to add it to AMCAS, why not go another $50 or whatever to just submit the secondary earlier rather than later?

Yes, you would be a reapp. Honestly, this late in the cycle, if you're not going to submit the secondary relatively soon, what's the point? If you're going to spend $33 to add it to AMCAS, why not go another $50 or whatever to just submit the secondary earlier rather than later?

Its $80... I hate these fees... I will mostly likely finish with the secondary within these next two weeks... luckily they only have one question... :)

If I am not accepted this cycle, it will most likely be because of my MCAT... so a massive improvement on that would definitely help I am sure... :)

I decided to give it my all this cycle and try my best with what I currently have. :)

I hope that my other qualities and accomplishments will make me stand out, but who knows... I know that we are all great candidates... and would probably make great doctors...

Best of luck to everyone! :)