Submitting a writing example when applying to Gradschool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marissa4usa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what a writing example should consist of. I would like to submit my honors thesis, however, due to the nature of the research process for the thesis it is unlikely that I doubt I will enough results to write up anything meaningful by Dec. 1st , let alone have my thesis advisor look over it.
Would it be ok to just submit the introduction and methods section or just a synopsis of everything? or should i try to write up a short version of the results and discussion section? basically I am wondering what the purpose of the submitting a writing example would be? judging the applicant's writing skills or research skills and if so to what degree?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, they have a lot of stuff to look at right? The only thing I'd submit are any papers that have been submitted to journals....MAYBE if you really feel keen, a completed honours thesis
It isn't, in my honest opinion, a good idea to submit anything esp if your advisor hasn't had a hack at it yet. There are mistakes we make that we are unaware of, that we don't catch because we've read it too often, etc...don't let the admissions commmitttee catch them.

I dunno, that's just my opinion. Perhaps others will have ideas too...

I submitted the intro and methods section of my honours thesis that had been edited by my advisor.

If I had to do it again I wouldn't... but I still got in.

I think basically if they don't ask for a writing sample, don't send one. If they do ask for one, the intro/methods section is probably fine as long as it's been REALLY edited. I put a note on mine saying that the completed thesis would be available in May 2007

Members don't see this ad :)
Submit something that's done and polished. The closest off your thesis is maybe trying to pass the intro and a modified conclusion off as a stand-alone lit review.

Psych students do NOT do enough writing at most places, so that might be the best you can do if they require a sample. I'm very happy with my school in that regard--I gave schools that asked for a writing sample a paper on the structure and function of the vomeronasal organ in small mammals. :D

I think basically if they don't ask for a writing sample, don't send one. If they do ask for one, the intro/methods section is probably fine as long as it's been REALLY edited. I put a note on mine saying that the completed thesis would be available in May 2007

Some schools that I looked at stated that i can submit any additional material as I wish and as examples they gave a writing examples.
if I submitted something it would only be something that I had my advisor take serious look at anyways. i just know for a fact and the current state of the whole research process that there is no way I will have a complete thesis by Mid november.

So, what i gather from your comments is it should at least appear to be complete and definetely be edited.

So you don't have to submit a writing sample unless asked? That's good because it's one less thing to worry about. :/

I am a faculty member on the graduate admissions committee for my department. I would not recommend sending in any incomplete work, especially if it is an experimental paper/thesis. It may not prevent you from getting in, but it certainly wouldn't help if you were on the border.

I will say however, each university has its own admissions procedures and will assign differing weights/importance to each part of the application process. The best bet is always to call the department and ask their opinion; in many cases it shows interest and initiative.

I am a relatively new faculty member, but I would be happy to answer any other questions anyone has regarding graduate school and graduate school admissions.