submitting amcas without an mcat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr OCD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys...i really hope this isnt a double post but anyway..

i know alot of us are still taking the mcat through may and wont get our mcat scores until the end of june. with that said, i wanted to ask if it is still recommendable to submit your application on june 1, even if your mcat score wont come in for another three weeks or so. im not sure what kind of "status" this will leave your application other than incomplete, but it wont mean that med schools will ignore an incomplete application right? and at least some schools will send secondaries regardless of mcat score...:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

the advantage comes from the fact that amcas will have time to verify your application so that you'll be complete as soon as your mcat scores arrive.

hey guys...i really hope this isnt a double post but anyway..

i know alot of us are still taking the mcat through may and wont get our mcat scores until the end of june. with that said, i wanted to ask if it is still recommendable to submit your application on june 1, even if your mcat score wont come in for another three weeks or so. im not sure what kind of "status" this will leave your application other than incomplete, but it wont mean that med schools will ignore an incomplete application right? and at least some schools will send secondaries regardless of mcat score...:confused:

You shouldn't wait for your MCAT scores to submit AMCAS unless your score is contigent upon your decision to apply. You aren't complete until AMCAS verifies checks all of your inputed classes against your transcript anyway, so there's no reason to delay submitting.

Members don't see this ad :)
go ahead and submit your amcas app w/o mcat scores. that can come later. the drag comes when amcas needs to actually receive your transcripts (more pain if you went to more than 1 school to fulfill classes/prereqs) and the actual grade verification. the mcat will probably hold you up when it comes time for schools to send out secondaries or assign interviews (if mcat scores haven't come out by then)

the lady i called today said some schools do send secondaries based on the AMCAS application (minus MCAT)

but then i asked her if some schools will base their decision just on the AMCAS application without the mcat score (ex: they'll send rejection letters before even getting the mcat score) and she said i have to call each school i'm applying to individually to check if they reject applicants before getting the mcat score.... i have no clue, what's up with that. ?? i'm hoping i have been misinformed, i guess i'll call a few schools and see what they say.........

that doesnt really make sense though, because you can still put which day your mcat is going to be taken. im taking mine this month, so i will be submitting on june 5th or whatever because the verification process is going to take time. let me know what you hear though...apply to med schools can be counterintuitive :idea:

the lady i called today said some schools do send secondaries based on the AMCAS application (minus MCAT)

but then i asked her if some schools will base their decision just on the AMCAS application without the mcat score (ex: they'll send rejection letters before even getting the mcat score) and she said i have to call each school i'm applying to individually to check if they reject applicants before getting the mcat score.... i have no clue, what's up with that. ?? i'm hoping i have been misinformed, i guess i'll call a few schools and see what they say.........

It is conceivable that with an extremely low GPA, you may get screened out of some schools and get rejected before your MCAT score comes in (that is, from their perspective no MCAT can make up for that low of a GPA). However, this doesn't generally happen because most schools want your secondary fee $$$, so they'll wait till you pay up before they reject you.

Just submit it. If I learned anything from this process, its apply early. You may get some secondaries without them seeing an MCAT score -- you should finish them ASAP, and so the med schools will only be waiting on your MCAT score. You'll have everything in, so that the day your MCAT score is released, your application is complete !

Doesn't AMCAS release apps to schools only in July anyway? In that case as long as you get your score before July the schools will have your complete file from the get-go, right?

As long as you apply in the months of "J" you shouldn't have any type of problem. If you are going to receive your score in June I would definitely wait to see it.

No one knows how long verification will take this year because of the change in MCAT testing dates but historically it hasn't been longer than a few weeks if you submit in a J month.

what if you already have an mcat score and are retaking? then should you wait so the old scores arent considered as final?

im retaking may 31st but have a ****ty 25 which i dont want to be left alone w/o the 35 i'm going to get ; )

what if you already have an mcat score and are retaking? then should you wait so the old scores arent considered as final?

im retaking may 31st but have a ****ty 25 which i dont want to be left alone w/o the 35 i'm going to get ; )

Last year there was a check box on AMCAS to let schools know if you had pending MCAT scores. But ofcourse you don't need to worry about submission dates since you are going to get a 35 right? :)