submitting applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jz123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know someone might have asked, but I just want to know if it is late if I e-submited my application at the end of June, let say June 30th?

Members don't see this ad.

It's best you submit as early as possible. If you have no other choice, then it should still be fine. Just try submitting your application as early as possible to maximize your chances of getting accepted this cycle.

It's best you submit as early as possible. If you have no other choice, then it should still be fine. Just try submitting your application as early as possible to maximize your chances of getting accepted this cycle.

The reason I wait till the end of June is because I do not have enough shadowing hours at this point, so I want to build up more and get enough (-100hrs) before submitting my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information, but the only thing that hinders me from applying early is the amount of shadowing hours...
How many do you currently have?

The reason I wait till the end of June is because I do not have enough shadowing hours at this point, so I want to build up more and get enough (-100hrs) before submitting my application.

Don't worry about shadowing hours. You can always add that to your application even after you submitted your application, at least from what I remember from last year (please correct me if I'm wrong). Plus, 30 hours isn't that bad to start off with.

Don't worry about shadowing hours. You can always add that to your application even after you submitted your application, at least from what I remember from last year (please correct me if I'm wrong). Plus, 30 hours isn't that bad to start off with.

But I heard people saying once the application is e-submitted, you cannot go back and edit the hours. Right?

But I heard people saying once the application is e-submitted, you cannot go back and edit the hours. Right?
Correct, you cannot edit it. You could always just estimate the hours and put in the description that you haven't finished them yet, but that in itself is risky.

Reactions: 1 user
Correct, you cannot edit it. You could always just estimate the hours and put in the description that you haven't finished them yet, but that in itself is risky.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up!
Can't you send update emails to the schools and tell them you added more shadowing hours? I'm assuming schools would look at that positively.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up!
Can't you send update emails to the schools and tell them you added more shadowing hours? I'm assuming schools would look at that positively.
Read most of the schools application instructions, they say they don't accept presumed shadowing hours and those that aren't reported when you submit AADSAS. You put what you have, when you apply, and can't change later. Will schools look positively on it? Possibly. But with 2300 applications to review, it might be risky to presume an email is going to be passed to your application which will be re-reviewed by an adcom. Best bet: get your hours in before applying.

Do we have to show proof of hours? In other words, how do the schools even know?

Do we have to show proof of hours? In other words, how do the schools even know?

I think it depends on the school. They may not know, but maybe they'll ask for proof. In that case get ready to reap the consequences. Honestly I don't see the reasoning for fudging shadowing hours.......this is going to be 4 years of school and a profession for the rest of your life. If people can handle the course-load then they can handle a couple weeks of observation of their future profession.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it depends on the school. They may not know, but maybe they'll ask for proof. In that case get ready to reap the consequences. Honestly I don't see the reasoning for fudging shadowing hours.......this is going to be 4 years of school and a profession for the rest of your life. If people can handle the course-load then they can handle a couple weeks of observation of their future profession.
This. You do have to list the person you shadowed and where, so they could probably Google and call that office if they wanted to check.

Basically yes, you could lie, but if you get caught you're done. And why sell your soul when you actually benefit from doing the work in the first place?
Best just do what you're supposed to mate.

Thank you all so much for the advice and information. I think I will do the honest way. I will build up the hours before I actually e-submit the application online, which will be probably at the very end of June. I hope it is not too late. I put my hope on dental schools. Hope one day my harding working will pay off. Thanks everyone again.